Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mileage Between 2 UK Postcodes

This topic is 3067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello

I require some advice please. Regarding the attached file, I need to find the mileage between a start and end postcode. It seems to be showing the correct Google Page. However, I’m not sure about the syntax for getting the mileage figure into the calculation field ‘Distance’.

Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Calculate Distance.fmp12

Postcodes describe an area, and different postcodes differ in area size. If you have two neighboring postcodes, each a perfect round diameter of 100km, the distance can vary from 0km to 200km. Hardly accurate. Latitudes and Longitudes describe a point on earth. So it makes sense to use those for calculating (line of flight) distance calculations.

Postcodes also can and do change. Not so for longitudes and latitudes. Not unless the earth fattens up a bit. Or looses some.

Edited by OlgerDiekstra
add detail

• Newbies

I've been looking on here at other posts and  trying to adapt code to my file. However, with only being a beginner I'm really struggling. I fully realise people won't have the time. However, if anyone does, I would be so grateful if they please could look at my file I attached on my original post and update where necessary to make it work. Many thanks

First of all: don't tell volunteers you REQUIRE anything. You're making demands.

You can ask for help.

Second, try making a more accurate problem statement.

Your file indicates that you have some Google driving instructions between two points.

The driving instructions include the list of steps and distances for each step; and the overall duration and distance are directly stated in the result.

13 hours ago, Speedy1967 said:

Many thanks for the link. The information and demo file is great. It's such a shame the distance is calculated from latitude and longitude, rather than a start and end UK postcode.

The APIs involved also support calculating distance from an address. I don't have time right now to test it, but I would not be surprised if the API accepted a low resolution "address" of just the post code. I'm not familiar with the details of your application, but I've never personally encountered a situation where the distance between post codes was actually the desired value. I've only ever seen distances between post codes as a proxy for distances between more precisely defined points (such as by coordinates or by full address), for which we've had better methods for a long time.

• Newbies

I'm sorry about the wording of my post. Someone else kindly typed it for me. This is due to me having bad cerebral palsy and unable to type. I've made sure I dictated this reply.

Thanks for all the comments. I've now found a solution.

I’m glad you found a solution to your question.

There was nothing wrong with the wording of your post, I would’ve said something the other day, but comment had already said it.

In any event, I apologize if we came across less than helpful.

Lee

• Like 1

This topic is 3067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.