Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Virtual List with large data sets

This topic is 2921 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It seems that the way I have implemented Virtual Lists bogs down on large ( 10k+ ) record sets. Building the $$data variable works fast enough ( LAN, 7 seconds for 2k records to 13s for 3k ), but then building the $$col variables takes what seems like exponentially more time ( 11 seconds for 1K records, then 41 seconds for 2K records, 82s for 3K...

Is there a way to improve the performance?

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 10.57.32 am.png

I've run a lot of virtual list stuff on data sets between 3 - 10k records, and it is nearly instant. It kind of depends on what you are doing with it.

What is the "Value_GetFromPipeDelimited" function do? Or more accurately, what is the calc?

Also, what is the use-case for setting 36 columns of variables? Not arguing for or against, curious what you are doing with it. :)

It's a CF to retrieve data from a data row that's pipe delimited:

// Retrieves the value from a pipe delimited data set at postion X
// Useful for parsing FQL query that uses the | as the delimiter
// Note - Requires a final pipe on the data set 

Let( [
    Begin = Position(Data; "|"; 1; Number - 1) + 1;
    End = Position(Data; "|"; 1 ; Number) - Begin
];

Middle(Data; begin;  end))

And the use case is that I then need to export that set as a .csv for ingestion into a 3rd party system - I've got no control over the final format, it just needs to be 36 columns in the right order....

Jeez people keep doing this.

Do NOT build a single 10K row blob of text.

Use a global repeating variable.

Each line of the list is $$data[N]

And build rows, not columns.

• Like 1

Bruce,

I have read some of your posts promoting $$data[N]. I can't find any! Can you please provide a link to a thread that discusses the use of $$data[N].

Thanks,

Barbara

Excellent, Wim, that's the post I remembered.

Nope, not the discussion I thought it was. No mention, afaik, of using $$var[N]. Also, does this discussion pre-date the List Of summary type? That is my preferred way of capturing IDs from a found set.

In its most basic form, a virtual list has two fields:

N - an integer, stored, going from 1 to (as many records as you have created). Let's say 100.

An unstored calc: Display. GetValue( $$Data; N)

You build a return-delimited set of data and put it into variable $$data

In the proposed variation, you instead put EACH ROW of the data into $$data[N]

If you have first captured the ListOf summary data into a single $variable or $$variable, you will have to process it ( split it) into individual repeats.

The unstored calc field then becomes $$data[N]

You can also use actual repeating fields for this as well. This can be a global repeating field or a stored repeating field.

OK, I can see putting the rows into $$data[N] and extracting each row based on that - then how can that data be formatted for a report, or on-screen display or exporting?

In this instance, I would like to display the data on-screen in a human-readable format to be checked and then export as a 36 column .csv.

And I've been searching for examples of the $$data[N] approach so as to not be asking these questions - but my Google-fu doesn't seem to be working for this...

You can still build your rows with whatever delimiter method you choose; and break them into columns.

So let's say you build the rows as pipe delimited. Then you could create calc RowNSplit as substitute( $$data[N]; "|"; "¶")

Then Cell1 = getValue( RowNSplit; 1), Cell2 = getValue( RowNSplit; 2) ; etc. If you need embedded returns in a cell you'll need to modify the calc to handle that.

I don't see why any of this needs explaining though. Splitting rows into multiple fields has always been a part of the method.

1 hour ago, webko said:

OK, I can see putting the rows into $$data[N] and extracting each row based on that - then how can that data be formatted for a report, or on-screen display or exporting?

In this instance, I would like to display the data on-screen in a human-readable format to be checked and then export as a 36 column .csv.

So the idea is, place the data rows into a Repeating Variable as you understand.

Next, use your table of calculations as you would for any virtual table. You will have the following fields:

• rowData = Substitute ( $$data[N] ; "|" ; "¶" ) // This convert the text string into something that's easy to grab data from. 'N' will be a constant field ( like a serial number field is what I usually use )
  • column1 = GetValue ( rowData ; 1 ) // This grabs the first value of the row data.
  • column2 = GetValue ( rowData ; 2 ) // This grabs the 2nd value of the row data.
  • ...rinse and repeat.

Use the Virtual Table as the base for you layout for the report. Arrange and manipulate the UI as you would any layout.

• Like 1

Here is a very very basic example; using two storage methods for collecting the data to display.

$$data[N]

Global repeating field

Multiple fields are set up using a pipe-delimited separator.

I also have worked up a similar very simple example that lets you store collected-row report snapshots so they can be displayed later.

However, that version is not included here.

VListVariations.fmp12.zip

This topic is 2921 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.