Server Maintenance This Week. ×

All backups are empty! Not cloning!

This topic is 2678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi I'm running FMS server and have daily and hourly backups. I'm not using cloning and I do verify integrity. Today we ran into a major problem were some data was deleted and I wanted to use a backup and restore the data. I moved the backup file to a local machine (away from the FMS and to my local FMA 14) to check if the data we deleted was stil there. But the whole file is empty?! All backups are empty, zero records. The file size is large enough to assume it should be there but there simply is nothing. 0/0 records shown.

I'm not cloning for sure! I have made a new rule for backup and ran it right away and the data is still gone! So all 99 rolling backups are useless. I need this fixed as this is absolutely unreliable now. We assumes we had plenty backups, when there is actually no backup at all.

PLEASE HELP.

ps. Stopping the DB and downloading it results in yellow/red/green icons but I don't see it anywhere. Everything is on Macs and the FMS is running at another location.

Edited by balooka

What is reported when you run a recovery on a copy of a backup?  Any errors?  Does the record count show up normally?

with "new rule" you mean a new schedule in FMS?

What else is running on that FMS server?  Usually these kinds of issues come interference with other processes like 3rd party backups, dropbox, OS level file sharing,...

Not to sound pedantic: this is precisely why you should not assume that the backups are fine; you have to proactively check them once in a while so that you can solve these kinds of issues without a gun to your head.

Thanks Wim

Indeed I meant schedule in FMS. There's nothing else running on the FMS and there are only about 5 people active at the same time. I've done the same setup with FMS 13 and there were never any issues. I should have checked of course if the backups were OK, and I did by looking at the file size. I've tried to zip them before transferring them to my own machine but nothing really helped. I'm going to install FMS again on a new machine and see if I can replicate the problem. If not, I'll just wipe the remote server and start over. I couldn't find anything related to this besides making clones, which I'm not doing.

Thanks!

This topic is 2678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.