Tony Morosco

Recovery and reopening of FM7 files

2 posts in this topic

I'm a botanist, and the tables I am working with are for tracking botanical garden collections. The data represents plants in the garden, and the plants are tagged and show up in the database.  The tables I am working with were created in FMP 7, and I'd like to open them up in FMP 11 (or later.)  The system hasn't been used in years, but still has valuable information.

One of the tables is giving me problems using the FMP convert and recover commands.

These tables are all inter-related.  The main table is the Accessions table, which contains records for all of one kind of plant, from the same source, received on the same date.  It is basically a museum standard.

The other tables are related to each other through this one main table.  The Species table is related to the locations table through the Accessions table. 
(i.e.  table A relates to table C through the table B, the intermediary)  
From the Locations table, we can't see the the species information unless the accessions table is present.

When issuing the open command on the main table to convert the database to FMP 11, I get the message:

"Accessions.fmp7" is damaged and cannot be opened.  Use the Recover command to recover this file.

When using the Recover command from v. 11, I get another message:

WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  Please review the Recover.log file to see where problems were found and their severity.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.
Recovery results:
  File blocks: scanned and rebuilt 563 blocks, dropped 214 invalid data blocks.
  Schema: scanned fields and tables, 1 items modified
  Structure: scanned; 1 items modified
  Field indexes: rebuilt

Opening the recovered database, there are only three records present.  There should be hundreds.  So obviously I am looking on how to wrangle this database open.

I've attached the log file here, as well as the database structure map.  

The other files have converted just fine.  But since the main table won't open, we are kind of stuck.
I can share the files with you through Dropbox or whatever, if needed.

Please let me know any thoughts you have, either basic or advanced.  And ask for any clarifications or additional questions.   :-)  

Thanks!

-Tony

Recover.log

Database relationships.PNG

Clearly the file was damaged and in order to make it open FM had to delete large chunks of the corrupted file.  In this case that were data blocks.

Nothing much that can be done with it.  You can try to recover with different versions of FM.  You can try to recover on Mac and on Windows.  Those are all long shots but you never know.

What it really points to is that the file was used in a manner that led to this corruption.  Very often that is because of OS-level file sharing, AV scanning,...  If you have other FM files in use, carefully scrutenize your deployment to make sure you minimize the risk that other files will get damaged.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gently Does It
      I am working in a biology lab and have developed several basic databases using filemaker 11 to help the lab organise their stocks of chemicals and so on. We have a fairly onerous excel sheet that we have to fill out for registering certain new reagents we make with the regulatory authorities and as these are a pain to use, they are not filled out regularly enough. I would like to simplify this for everyone by making a filemaker form/database that will automatically fill out as much detail as possible.

The data in question is that when we clone a piece of DNA we need to insert this into several different DNA vectors that are used for different things. Whenever this one particular piece of DNA is inserted into a new vector it must be registered, so for one piece of DNA there may be , lets say 6 individual entries in the database, all saying more or less similar things, but just having different target vectors. I hope this isn’t already sounding to weird.

I have a plan that I will have a ‘home screen’ with a field for entering the name of the DNA and then some tick boxes for each of the common target vectors. What I would like is that all my colleagues will need to do is tick the boxes for the vectors they want to clone the DNA into and filemaker will then automatically populate a new entry for each of the vectors specifically for the new DNA they have cloned. As I have some basic experience, but am admittedly very limited in my scripting knowledge, I am unsure as to how best to do this. Would it be best to have a button next to each of the vectors instead of a tick box that would run a script that would take the name of the DNA in the field and then make a new entry based on the associated vector? If so can anyone suggest how this would be best organised. I am guessing I only need a single table with two layouts, one for the home screen and one for viewing all the entries.

I’m sorry if this seems a bit convoluted.

Thanks for any help.

• By ggt667
      Is there a way in AppleScript to trap if the connection is lost and have an AppleScript act on this?
      At the risk of asking and answering myself( AppleScript below )
      repeat tell application "FileMaker Pro" try database "db" on error do shell script "sudo shutdown -r now" with administrator privileges end try end tell delay 59 -- 59 secs end repeat  
    • By James WHL
      Hi,
      A client of mine has an Windows 2008 Server which runs an SQL Server.
      Because he doesn't have another machine and (Due To some reason, my client do not wish to mess with current SQL database structure),
      so I will like to ins tall FM 11 runtime onto the same machine,

The runtime solution is to schedule login to SQL server to perform importing / filtering  and exporting data report.

My question is :...
      Has someone ever done this and can it be done?
      Possible for FM to login onto same machine to access SQL DB ? Thanks!

• By adyf
      I'm getting the attached error messages when trying to modify records in a file. It's appears as though there is some protection in place, privilege sets etc, but there isn't and never has been. I've tried recovering the file to no avail, is there anything else I can try? I haven't accessed this file in approx. 6 months, but have never had issues before and I'm the only user of the file.

• By transpower
      I and most of my clients are still on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003.  I have several FileMaker executable files (solutions) developed using FileMaker 11 Advanced.  Will these run on Windows 10?  Will the Windows 10 compatibility mode (i.e., Windows 7) run these files?  I don't have a Windows 10 machine to test.