Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Show/Hide tool and menu bars...is there an easier way.

This topic is 2534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi forum.  Was playing around with FM16.  The one feature I wish it did contain was when you go into browse layout mode, the menu bar, formatting bar and status toolbar all appear.  Then disappear when back to browse mode.

So I came up with this developer type script that I attached to the OnModeEnter and OnModeExit layout triggers to use on a layout under development, so you're not constantly showing/hiding all the 'bars'.  I was wondering if there is an easier way.

Thanks

Steve

Edit:  Forgot to include "Freeze Window" as first script step

script.pdf

Edited by Steve Martino

1 hour ago, Steve Martino said:

when you go into browse mode, the menu bar, formatting bar and status toolbar all appear.  Then disappear when back to browse mode.

Did you mean when you LEAVE browse mode?

I have a WIndows 10 PC running FM 16 Advanced

Yes, I have the same 'problem'

I have a 'main' window upon which I have custom menus.  

But, when I run any of 25 different reports, I DO NOT WANT MENUS.  So, Set Menus OFF on the report window.  BUT, after I close the report window and return to the MAIN window, the menus that were previously ON are instead OFF.

To top it all off, THERE ARE NO MENUS; not even the FM Menus.  So, I have to invoke TASK Manager and kill FM so that I can start it up and get back into it.

This begs the question:  "Did Filemaker beta test 16 with developers before they released it?"

Does anyone have a work around for this situation?

2 hours ago, ron G said:

I have a WIndows 10 PC running FM 16 Advanced

Yes, I have the same 'problem'

I have a 'main' window upon which I have custom menus.  

But, when I run any of 25 different reports, I DO NOT WANT MENUS.  So, Set Menus OFF on the report window.  BUT, after I close the report window and return to the MAIN window, the menus that were previously ON are instead OFF.

==========================================

I got it!!  AFTER the report window is 'defined' then if I Set Menus OFF it applies only to that window.  Otherwise, it applies to the previous window.  It is inconsistent with my Mac experience but definitely makes sense and is probably better programming practice.

I hope this helps others who are confused by this new 'feature'...-_-

Edited by Lee Smith
remove blank quote block

To address the loss of the bottom toolbar during development, I have created a small toolbar which I am putting on every layout with a hide condition if [ not "Full Access" ]  

As a result of reading this thread, I think I will be adding  additional buttons/segments to include "Show/Hide menu bar[toggle]" and to access layout Mode

2017-05-18_11-43-22.png

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 11:33 PM, ron G said:

This begs the question:  "Did Filemaker beta test 16 with developers before they released it?"

What kind of unproductive statement is this?  You do realize I hope that this just antagonizes? I'm assuming that you are frustrated; if so then say that instead of making these kind of statements.

Having said that, of course there is beta testing.  But beta testing is no guarantee that there will be no bugs or unintended behaviors.

I have a similar problem as I mentioned in another thread. Mine's even worse, though. I have FileMaker running digital signs. By default I turn off all toolbars and menus. In FM 16 I would then just hit the button in the bottom toolbar to bring the menus back and switch to a standard menu when I needed to work on the file. Can't do that anymore! I also REGULARLY used the menu in the bottom toolbar to switch between modes. Can't do that anymore either. It is really a pain now. I am not liking 16 very much. If it wasn't for the ability to create PDFs from the server I wouldn't even be considering switching. But so far that seems to be irrelevant because I can't get a critical web viewer to render to PDF in 16.

/rant

@Cable, see my latest response to your other post. Bottom line is, keyboard shortcuts are your friend.

B for browse, L for layout, F for find (OK, U for Preview is a little trickier but still...)

Ctrl-alt-S for Status toolbar

@ron G that sounds like a problem of your own making and nothing to do with beta testing. Glad you were able to solve it.

7 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

What kind of unproductive statement is this?  You do realize I hope that this just antagonizes? I'm assuming that you are frustrated; if so then say that instead of making these kind of statements.

Having said that, of course there is beta testing.  But beta testing is no guarantee that there will be no bugs or unintended behaviors.

I am not just a critic, I am willing to be a beta tester.  Is that open to me?

The paid membership only gives you a "preview" download, typically close to release date. To be an actual beta tester you'd need to contact the product manager at FileMaker.

Anyone can suggest product ideas, though.

https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/product-ideas

13 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

But beta testing is no guarantee that there will be no bugs or unintended behaviors.

All companies, including software companies either alpha and beta test in sufficient numbers to catch errors or they make their customers their beta testers.

Having said that, I am willing to btest future versions.  Do you know how I should proceed?

This topic is 2534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.