Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dropdown portal

Gismo12

This topic is 2014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a drop down in a portal, how do i filter the drop down box to only display the record relating the record in focus on the active layout where the portal is inserted?

example: I have a customer selected in my customer layout, the customer has several products related to that customer. when I click on the drop down list in the portal, I only want to see the products for that specific customer. The drop down is in the warranty portal, products are saved in the product table with a reference to the customer.

Please could you assist?

Define your value list to include only related values, starting from Customers. 

This is assuming your value list is defined to use values from a field in the Products table, and that you have a relationship in place where each product is related to a parent customer.

• Thanks 1

Could you please explain relationships with reference to portals.

my question, when I set up a relationship, let say customers and products, then i set a relationship between products and warranty, a second table for products is created by FM. when i create the portal, do I link to products or products 2 ?

2 hours ago, Gismo12 said:

a second table for products is created by FM

No, it is a second occurrence of the same Products table. This is because the relationship graph does not allow circular relationships.

Now, if you have something like:

Products >- Customers -< Warranties >- Products 2

on your graph, then in the portal to Warranties (on a layout of Customers) you would have the ProductID field from Warranties, and in order to populate it you would use a value list defined to use values from Products::ProductID, include only related values, starting from Customers. If you want to display fields from the Products table in the same portal (e.g. product name, description etc.) then these would come from Products 2 (and you should make sure they cannot be modified).

• Thanks 1

This topic is 2014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.