Sign in to follow this  
zonetuke

How to prevent table connections on FileMaker Go?

This topic is 514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My primary Filemaker 16 database connects to 4 other tables located in their respective Filemaker databases. I wish to prevent these connections from occurring when using the primary Filemaker database in Filemaker Go in iOS but allow the connections when using on a computer desktop, both Mac and Win. The reason I wish to disable these connections in iOS is that I always see prompts to locate the databases and it wastes my time to locate each one and connect it. Any way to accomplish this?

Hello

This is a tricky one, but I think could be improved by design in the database.

FM will only attempt to locate the other files if it needs to. You could have layouts for use in FM Go that don't have any fields, references or scripts that require the other databases. Then FM Go won't bother to open them if it never needs the data.

The other technique might be to use Global Variables in the Manage->External Data Sources. In your startup script you could set those Globals to the correct values if you are on a computer, and set them to nothing if you are running in iOS. This would prevent Filemaker from looking for them.

However, if your database relies on values from the other files for calculated fields or layout items that you need to display on iOS then both of these techniques will have the effect of reducing functionality in your database.

Maybe that helps?

• Like 1

That is a good idea. I will try it! Thanks. 

This topic is 514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By emncwundy
      I have two iPads connected to FM server. For some reason one ipad (5th Gen running 13.5) will not complete the navigation scripts and shows error messages (no records match this find criteria), however the 7th Gen running on 13.1.1 works fine..... Issue has only begun after purchasing the second, newer iPad. I cannot for the life of me work out what is wrong, or how to troubleshoot and would love some guidance please!! Here is a screengrab of one of the scripts and related layout:
      fm go script issue.tiff Orders iPad layout.tiff
    • By jeffreym9152
      Trying to display a pdf stored on the iPad AT A SPECIFIC PAGE NUMBER or 'DESTINATION'  tag within the  pdf document from FMGo.  I've tried both a Webviewer and Open URL call but the #page= and #destinationtag appended to the filepath (eg //MyFile.pdf#page=20) is ignored.  Any ideas how to open and display a  PDF at specific page?
    • By Brandan
      Hi Folks,
      This maybe a noob issue but I'm having a problem in Filemaker Go creating a PDF and inserting into a container field and then print to a mobile receipt printing.
      I can create the PDF in TemporaryPath which it does and add it to a container field, but the PDF is more than one page.  It needs to be only one page to print to the receipt printer.  If I do the same in Filemaker on my PC the PDF saves as one page as it should.  Example attached.
      Is this a limitation in FMGO ?  or am I missing something
      You help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Brandan

• By Answers
      Our people out in the field take photos which go directly into the container fields, we would like those photos to automatically transfer to the camera roll/gallery. I know there is an export command and that would allow the techs to export and choose the location, save image etc... But that is a tad too complicated for them.
      Any suggestions on how to automate this process, the script for export field contents doesn't have a choice to save to camera roll.
      Thank you!
      Caroline
    • By DPaquin
      Hello,
      I am starting to implement a solution within FileMaker Go. At the moment I do have video files which are showing in FileMaker Pro but not in FileMaker Go. When importing the video files I've selected "Store only a reference".
      The file itself reside on an external drive which has been connected through the Apple AFP protocol.
      When looking at the properties on the iPad it shows "moviemac:/directory name/filename.mp4". I would have thought the file should have been named "moviemac:/Volumes/directory name/filename.mp4".
      The iPad is connected through the ethernet (RJ45) directly to my own network. The computers (FileMaker Pro) and the iPad (FileMaker Go) are accessible from FileMaker Server. The FileMaker Go application "VideoFile"  becomes available through the Host called "pzoomvideo-filemaker-server.local". 
      Why going with FileMaker Go?
      I am selecting the FileMaker go because I am intending to use the complete set of functionality provided with AVPlayer. The VideoFile filemaker Go application is to be accessible about 300 to 500 feet away from the server. I am then using ethernet rather than wifi because of reliability and connectivity.
      Questions:
      - Why those external video file (MP4) do not show on the iPad when the application is open? How do I make video file stored on an external drive to show in FIleMaker Go?
      - Why does it take so long for the apps stored on the Host network to show and to become available?

Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.