Sign in to follow this  
faaslave

Value List

Hello all,

I just started using FM17. It has been a long time, since FM11 that I have used FM. I am setting up a solution starting with FM Starting point. I created some value lists to use and all of them are fine but something strange keeps happening with one of them. I select the field, the options come up, I pick one, and I get this. "This operation could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table.". Filemaker does make the change when I select a new value from the list. How can I get this warning from a value list? Doesn't this error have to do with a script? I am not running a script that I can see.

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave...

I think this is when the value list is tied to a relationship if the value list is to just show ALL values from another table than it wouldn't have that issue.

When the value list is defined to look up thru the relationship you will that value list will only work from the context of the layout where the relationship is valid.

Long time no see. This is a value list with custom values. Not tied to any table. That is what is so strange. I have two on the page. One works fine, one does what I am talking about. I'll recheck it

Dave

I deleted the field on the layout. Made one on the layout again, and it fixed it. Must have had something tied to it from ther starter solution template.

Thanks

Dave

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, faaslave said:

"This operation could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table."

This message comes up when you have a script trying to perform some action (e.g. set a field or go to related record) without having a relationship to the target of that action.

It also appears  if you place a field from an unrelated TO on the layout, then try to edit the value in that field manually.

Most likely, the field you have deleted had a script trigger attached to it. And you probably copied it from another layout, where the script was in the proper context for the action to take place. 

Bottom line, you must be very careful when modifying an existing solution made by someone else.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

That is exactly what happened. Thanks Comment. Glad to see you are still on here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Spidey
      Hi,
      I am totally new in xslt.  I have the following xslt and I tried to export as xml.   I got an error.    "SAXParseException: invalid document structure".  Is there a problem in my structure?  What's the proper structure?

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
      <xsl:stylesheet version='1.0'
        xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
        xmlns:fm="http://www.filemaker.com/fmpdsoresult"
        exclude-result-prefixes="fm">
            <xsl:output version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' indent='yes'
              method='xml' />
            <xsl:template match="/">
            <cityforcast>
                  <xsl:for-each select="fm:FMPDSORESULT/fm:ROW">
                        <forcast>
                              <id><xsl:value-of select="./fm:ID” /></id>                       
                              <city><xsl:value-of select="./fm:City” /></city>
                              <temperature><xsl:value-of select="./fm:Temperature” /></temperature>
                              <humidity><xsl:value-of select="./fm:Humidity” /></humidity>
      <windspeed><xsl:value-of select="./fm:Wind Speed” /></windspeed>
                              <winddirection><xsl:value-of select="./fm:Wind Direction” /></winddirection>
                              <clouds><xsl:value-of select="./fm:Clouds” /></clouds>
                        </forcast>
                  </xsl:for-each>
            </cityforcast>
            </xsl:template>
      </xsl:stylesheet>
      Weather.fmp12
    • By Ron Cates
      I am working with a table of 1.5 million records. I am using relationships to isolate records from that table based on multikey fields that contain a list of the IDs that I want to access matched up with the primary key field of that table. There are multiple relationships to access and group the records needed based on a multitude of criteria but in short the problem is this. Those relationships were working until last night when I was working on the system and after a few changes all the relationships to that table based on the primary key field stopped showing any results. Even with the most basic relationship, Multikey field with a list of IDs linked to the primary key field of the target table and still results in no records found. I ran a backup and pulled the backup off the server and opened it on my local computer and the relationships all worked on the locally opened copy.
      I suspect an indexing problem but don't understand how the indexing works well enough to know how the same file would work locally but fail on the server?
    • By MacFileman
      Hi...so I have FMS17 up and running on a new mac mini. So far so good!!
      I am having a tiny issue changing the back up folder location.
      Current Default Path:
      filemac:/Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/
      So....I am trying to make the path a folder in Drop Box.
      Now, if I use terminal to get an exact location of an item inside my drop box location, I get this:
      ool-6038c0a5:~ fm_serveer$ /Users/fm_serveer/Dropbox/\ FILEMAKER\ BACKUPS
      Getting info on the folder Produces this result:
      Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨fm_serveer⁩ ▸ ⁨Dropbox⁩
      I have tried lots of combinations with no success. Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks a million!

Mike

• By Greg Hains
      Good afternoon,
      I have a client who has an issue with one of their solutions.

Within the File Sharing settings, the Peer-to-Peer sharing is On and the option to display on Host is disabled. I am certain that the P2P sharing needs to be off and that I DO want to have it 'visible' from the Host, so I will DISABLE this 'hide' setting.
      The problem is that when I change these settings, and close the file, that the settings go back to what they were when I re-open. FMP users also get the Network Sharing error message when they first open the solution.  I have taken it off the FMS when changing these settings, tried a Recover, tried all sorts of things.

Has anybody encountered this problem before and might know what causes it to do this? Filemaker Tech Support even scratched their heads and have suggested doing a Recover, Clone Mode etc, but this did not fix it.
      Greg
    • By mat101010
      Our office recently replaced a database server and upgraded to FMS17 from FMS16. Now that FMS17 is being used, the Script Engine process terminates abnormally when 2 scheduled scripts using the Email plugin fire-off at the same time. Individually, the scripts run fine. However, run in tandem, they crash FMSE. Any thoughts on why the  360Works Email plugin would allow simultaneous scripts to run in FMS16 but not in FMS17? 
      Server Version is: 17.0.2.203
      Plugin Version is: 3.1
      Sample Event Logs:
      2019-03-21 17:35:00.166 -0600    Information    148    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example A" running.
      2019-03-21 17:35:00.166 -0600    Information    689    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example A" has started FileMaker script "MyScriptA".
      2019-03-21 17:35:00.166 -0600    Information    148    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example B" running.
      2019-03-21 17:35:00.166 -0600    Information    689    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example B" has started FileMaker script "MyScriptB".
      2019-03-21 17:35:11.371 -0600    Information    645    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example B" scripting error (1636) at "MyFile : MyScriptB : 26 : Send Mail".
      2019-03-21 17:35:12.074 -0600    Error    701    SERVERNAME    FileMaker Script Engine process has terminated abnormally.
      2019-03-21 17:35:12.090 -0600    Error    757    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example B" aborted; FileMaker scripts can't be run because FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) process is stopped. Use the command "fmsadmin start fmse" to start the FMSE process.
      2019-03-21 17:35:12.090 -0600    Information    126    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example B" scheduled for 03/21/2019 05:45 PM.
      2019-03-21 17:35:12.090 -0600    Error    757    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example A" aborted; FileMaker scripts can't be run because FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) process is stopped. Use the command "fmsadmin start fmse" to start the FMSE process.
      2019-03-21 17:35:12.090 -0600    Information    126    SERVERNAME    Schedule "Email Example A" scheduled for 03/22/2019 05:35 PM.
      2019-03-21 17:35:14.231 -0600    Warning    30    SERVERNAME    Client "Email Example A (FileMaker Script)" no longer responding; connection closed. (10)
      2019-03-21 17:35:25.452 -0600    Information    703    SERVERNAME    Starting FileMaker Script Engine process...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.