Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I have no idea what to do

This topic is 1868 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, people!

I'm pretty new here and in filemaker. I'm actually only helping my research group creating a database and have just started learning about filemaker.

So what I need is a portal in a participant that will display the studies that exist and whether or not they are eligible. The problem is, I need a second page to update the studies, so once I insert a new study it should show in a new row for all participants. I did others portals that worked ok, but I'm having the problem in updating the study displayed in all participants. Does anyone knows how to deal with this?

Not sure if I am following properly but if you have a portal based on a table occurrence of studies, as long as there is no specific filter or join criteria that would stop it from not displaying in the portal, it should display when adding to the studies table.

Hi qasalla

Some thing in Filemaker are very easy, and some are more complicated!

Relationships allow you to show portals. If you want EVERY study type to appear for EVERY participant, then the relationship that you use would have to be a 'cartesian join', that is one that succeeds in every case. You do this with the 'X' symbol when defining the relationship, and you should just use the Primary key in both tables, with the cartesian join, to create that relationship. Then you will see every study type for every participant.

However this isn't very useful.

If you have a field in the 'study' table that is 'Eligible_BOOLEAN', where the intention is that you somehow set that if a participant is eligible for that study type, then it will be the same for EVERY participant. This is probably not what you want.

To solve this you have to setup a JOIN table, that is a table that has a record for each time a participant is involved in some way with a study type.

The join table has two foreign keys, one relating to a participant, and one to a study type.

You then need to find a way to add a record in that join table each time you want to store some information about that participant in relation to that study type.

I've enclosed a little example, which I hope starts you on the right path.

You pick the study type from the popup menu in the 'Participants' layout, and it will add a JOIN table record for that study type for that participant. You can manually select if they are 'Eligible' although you may have a different way of working that out.

As a clue, it uses a Script Trigger on the popup menu, to run a script, which adds the JOIN TABLE record. 

Have a poke around it and see if that helps at all?

Example.fmp12

This topic is 1868 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.