Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Changed Number field to Calculation and lost all data

This topic is 1473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I changed a field from a plain number field to a calculation field so I could automatically enter some data.  Disaster immediately struck upon hitting the OK button and all of my data was wiped out.  I have an excel file with the raw numbers in it, but when i try to import the data, it won't let me enter it into the new calculation field.  If I change it back to a number field, I can then reimport the data, but then can't change the field back to a calc field with losing the data all over again.  How do I get around this?

Here's some details:  I'm entering emissions data for engines.  When I start a new engine record, it automatically generates six child records, one for each emission type.  One of the six emission types (child records) is a calculated field derived from data in the engine's fields and the other five need to be entered manually:

If ( POL = 42401 and Engine Data::Fuel Type = "Diesel";

.09631*Engine Data::Max Fuel Usage Rate/Engine Data::Max Rated Bhp;

If ( POL = 42401 and Engine Data::Fuel Type = "LPG/Propane";

.46948*Engine Data::Max Fuel Usage Rate/Engine Data::Max Rated Bhp;

""))

The calculation works correctly, filling in the one field like it's supposed to.  I just can't figure how to get my previously entered data back into their respective fields.

Thanks very much!

13 minutes ago, Guy_Smith said:

One of the six emission types (child records) is a calculated field derived from data in the engine's fields and the other five need to be entered manually:

You cannot have the same field be of one type for some records, and of another type for others. But you can define a Number field to auto-enter a calculated value - either initially only, or at any change in one of the referenced fields (in the same record only). Such value can be overwritten manually - unlike a calculation field that will always return the result of evaluating the formula.

• Like 1

This topic is 1473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.