Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Validation - Unique

This topic is 1061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field, item ID, set to auto enter a serial number and validation set to not empty and unique.  If the serial number entered is not unique I do not get an error message when exiting the item ID field.  If I turn off auto enter serial number and manually enter a non unique item ID, I do get an error message when I exit the field.

With auto enter a serial number turned on I only get the non unique error message when I commit the record.  I would like to get the error message when exiting the field when auto enter a serial number is turned on

Any suggestions?

Edited by bgscott

Update.  Found a solution.  Scripted the "New" button"

• new record, which auto enters an item ID
  • copy item id
  • paste item id

Now when user tabs out of item ID field they will see a message if the item ID is not unique.

Note:  non unique automatic item IDs are happening because over time the user wanted to be able to override the auto enter item ID and enter their own item ID.  I have suggested that we turn off auto enter for the item ID field because now it is pretty useless.

If the user is allowed to edit the itemid  value, do not  use it as a key in any relationship. Create an Id field for that purpose. It does not need to be visible on any layout. 

10 hours ago, bgscott said:

Now when user tabs out of item ID field they will see a message if the item ID is not unique.

This is a bad situation no matter how you look at it. Suppose the auto-entered number is 150, and user overrides it with 200. So 50 records later, they (or another user) will get a validation error without understanding why - and without even entering the ID field. 

The purpose of auto-entering a serial number is to provide a unique and permanent value by which the record can be identified. If users are allowed to override the value, then this purpose is thwarted. I would suggest you re-evaluate the problem, instead of trying to patch it. If they have another way to identify the record (e.g. a barcode), have them enter it into a separate field.

Edited by comment

This topic is 1061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.