Server Maintenance This Week. ×

360works plugin and java?

This topic is 990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I am pretty new here. I used to be on but that was a while ago. I am not sure I am posting in the correct area but here goes. 

I have 360works on my local machine at work(windows 10). I am running FM server19. I am the only one using the email plugin so I put a single license on my local machine instead of adding it directly to the server. I run a script to import all the emails from a specific email address and it works great. When I trigger the script, I see a Filemaker window showing that the emails are downloading. It takes a while but there are a lot of emails everyday.

However, I also have Filemaker on my home laptop and use a VPN to log into the database. When I trigger the same script, I don't see the same Filemaker window, but a Java window that simply says "retrieving email". It takes forever and has never completed without either showing an error or losing the VPN connection when the laptop goes to sleep. I does seem to find the emails, as they are marked as read but they don't show up in the database because the script doesn't complete so I have to go in and try and find the emails and mark them unread.

So my question is, is this an issue with Filemaker, 360works, the VPN or just my laptop?

I hope I have made some sense, please pardon my ignorance in this

Your description is pretty abstract "I see a FileMaker window", so I'm not sure if you are the developer of this solution. If so, you should probably use the debugger to check where the script actually hangs. Check return values / error codes of the single script steps. Maybe try to replicate the problem on a local file (not the hosted one via VPN) to narrow it down.

Otherwise I suggest contacting the developer. This could an issue that the plugin has on your machine or a networking problem (although those usually result in a timeout and an error message).

7 hours ago, MaxB said:

Your description is pretty abstract "I see a FileMaker window", so I'm not sure if you are the developer of this solution. If so, you should probably use the debugger to check where the script actually hangs. Check return values / error codes of the single script steps. Maybe try to replicate the problem on a local file (not the hosted one via VPN) to narrow it down.

Otherwise I suggest contacting the developer. This could an issue that the plugin has on your machine or a networking problem (although those usually result in a timeout and an error message).

I am the developer of the solution. But I do find it difficult to articulate exactly what is going on. There is no error, the script goes to the step of "EmailReadMessages". While it is completing that step, which can take some time depending on the number of emails, I get a progress window. The progress window I get when I am in the office is generated by Filemaker saying it is importing from my database as shown below. 

When I am on the VPN from my home I get a message that says "retrieving email" with the Java logo on top which does not resemble the window below at all (I'm at work so I can't paste a pic). I think it might just be a speed issue. I am going to try to limit the number of emails to 10 just to see if the script completes and I will also try a local file as you suggest. 

Thanks

image.png.84c8d8c191264d30003a54e578ec84ed.png

My guess would be that "EmailReadMessages" does not actually complete on your home machine and that's when the underlying Java process shows up with the retrieval message. I'd check that in the debugger. If it does go to the next script step, check the return value of EmailReadMessages and/or Get(LastError).

I'm a little confused by your "Import" screenshot, though. I assume there is an import script step later in the script but I don't see the direct connection to EmailReadMessages.

As you suggested, limiting the number of emails might also help.

Thanks MaxB,

You are correct that the emailreadmessages is not completing. It appears it is the VPN that is causing the issue. I guess my laptop doesns't have the "oomph" needed to run it. I set up a local version of the script on my laptop and ran it. It still hung up on me but I was still connected to the VPN even though it had nothing to do with the local script. I disconnected the VPN and the script finished within seconds. I also noted it takes over a minute to load a web page while I am connected to the VPN so it is obviously taking up to many system resources to handle the email script

And yes, after reading the emails I have a subscript go through them, flag the important ones and import them into a separate table

Guess I need a new machine for using the VPN. Thanks for you help, I appreciate it.

VPN usually does not require that much resources. It's more likely a network configuration or a bandwidth issue. Another machine probably won't help much.

If there's no error and you are limited by network speed, you might consider doing the "heavy lifting" on the server by running the import script there (script schedule or Perform Script on Server). You'd need a server license for the plugin, though.

This topic is 990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.