Server Maintenance This Week. ×

GET IPAD NAME

This topic is 527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

13 hours ago, Jeffrey Bloch said:

a means of confirmation that the right device was linked to a customer account.

Not sure what exactly you mean by "the right device". If you want to reliably* identify the device being used, you should be using Get(PersistentID), not a name which may be changed (or faked) by the user at any time.

--
(*) Disregarding some bug reports, which may or may not have been fixed.

Edited by comment

6 hours ago, bcooney said:

In my experience, get(persistentId) changes on fmgo reinstall. 

OP, can you explain why a device should be linked to a customer account?

To alleviate future logins. My application will handle multiple customer accounts each of which will have iPads 'on the road.' Additionally, they'll be some iPads 'installed' in strategic positions to allow for emergency signals (lockdown, etc) in either direction. The employees in the area of the installed devices won't have logins, so the iPad will automatically connect to the proper account by use of the persistentID. The acquisition of the iPad's name is more or less for aesthetic purposes at the client's home base as I currently display all sorts of info re the iPad that connected, but nothing personalized that would perhaps give them peace of mind that the right iPad is now connected. Getting the iPad name would be nice, but certainly not necessary.

8 hours ago, bcooney said:

In my experience, get(persistentId) changes on fmgo reinstall. 

How recent is this experience?
https://support.claris.com/s/article/Behavior-differences-of-Get-PersistentID-and-Get-SystemNICAddress-when-used-with-iOS-7-1503693035655?language=en_US

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Bloch said:

To alleviate future logins.

Not sure what that means. 

The employees in the area of the installed devices won't have logins, so the iPad will automatically connect to the proper account by use of the persistentID.

That's not possible. The only way to "connect to the proper account" is by logging in with an account name and password. You may use the PersistentID to re-login to the proper account - but you must be logged in to some account first. This is an exposure that should be carefully assessed.

The acquisition of the iPad's name is more or less for aesthetic purposes

You could lookup a name from a table that pairs each PersistentIDs with a human-friendly name. 

Edited by comment

3 minutes ago, comment said:

How recent is this experience?
https://support.claris.com/s/article/Behavior-differences-of-Get-PersistentID-and-Get-SystemNICAddress-when-used-with-iOS-7-1503693035655?language=en_US

Not sure what that means. 

That's not possible. The only way to "connect to the proper account" is by logging in with an account name and password. You may use the PersistentID to re-login to the proper account - but you must be logged in to some account first. This is an exposure that should be carefully assessed.

You could lookup a name from a table that pairs each PersistentIDs with a human-friendly name. 

The way I designed the system, I'm creating a unique numerical code which will be given to a remote user. That user will take any iPad and enter that number into the customary username (phone #) login. The scripted logic will recognize the code (begins with '999' to assure no conflict with a phone number) and take the persistentID and other info and create a record for the iPad. The organization will see that a device was connected using the code given, but if it popped up on their end "Nancy's iPad" and Nancy was the person given the code, it might give a sense of security. Again though, it's relatively minor, but I'd like to add it if possible.

This topic is 527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.