Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Drawing Tags

Hi,

Does anyone know please if FileMaker has the functionality/capability to add Record Tags to Drawings, so when clicked, it takes you to that record.

We have recently undertake a door survey of 1000's of internal doors, each door having a 'Door Ref No'.  The data recorded in FileMaker.  We would like to add that 'Door Ref No' to a drawing for our client as a Tag, so rather than open the survey data, then look where that Door Ref No is on a drawing.  They alternatively open the drawing, click on the Tag of a door they would like to view and it opens that record.

Drawing Types: -

• We use AutoCAD which are .dwg files (not sure if anyone is familiar with these), so it would be nice if Tags could be dropped into an AutoCAD drawing. 
  • Alternately PDF drawings would be fine, so dropping / inserting a TAG on a PDF file / drawing.

Happy to purchase a Plug In if this is what is required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Steve

We used to sell a product that did exactly what you want, GoDraw.   It was based on this JavaScript library.

you can do the same type of integration or hire someone who is familiar with JavaScript in FileMaker. 

The Zwibbler library might be useful to do what you're asking for. I think I could help solve this for you. I focus on working with JS libraries and have a few ideas on how this could work.

I'm not sure I could work with AutoCad files but I'll look around

Hit me up here or at [email protected] if you'd like to talk. I can try to find some things that might work, and maybe we can work together.

jeremy

I am struggling to understand what this question is about. What exactly do you mean by a "Tag"? Judging from this part:

5 hours ago, stevetroughton said:

open the drawing, click on the Tag of a door they would like to view and it opens that record.

I would guess that what you actually want is to embed a hyperlink in the drawing file that would take the user to a specific record in a Filemaker database.

Now, AFAIK it is possible to have hyperlinks in an AutoCAD file - but Filemaker cannot put them there for you (at least not natively). And it is possible to open a Filemaker file and go to a specific record via a hyperlink (see: https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/opening-files-url.html). But that's only possible if the person has access to the database (you haven't told us anything about this part).

Edited by comment

Thank you for all your replies.

jbrown - Yes I will consider this thank you.

comment - survey software such as 'Go Report' that incorporates this feature, they refer to them as Tags, but yes a hyperlink on the drawing that would take you to a specific record in FileMaker.

Yes the client would have access to the database.

Thank you also for the link, I will take a look.

I think the question is more about AutoCAD than about Filemaker. Filemaker can export all the necessary data that you would need to embed these links, in almost any reasonable format. The question is whether there is something on the AutoCAD side that could take this data and automate the embedding process.

Here's something I put together inside of a web viewer.

It is pretty basic and I have some cleaning up to do of it, but it's a decent start. 

If the image or pdf is stored inside FM in a record, one can load that into the web viewer and use basic JS stuff to add tags, save them back to FM, and recall them again.

One issue with this, at the moment: I can only use a png or jpg file. I'm looking into making this work with a PDF as a background.

Edited by jbrown
it kept playing.

Jbrown - yes your demonstration is what I am trying to achieve.  To do this in PDF would be fantastic, AutoCAD/Revit even better.

Comment - AutoCAD & Revit do have the capabilities to insert links from other software programmes, one in particular I am aware of being NBS Chorus.

AutoCAD & Revit fall under the brand Autodesk (AutoCAD is 2D, Revit is 3D modelling).  NBS Chorus is cloud based specification software for Construction Professionals.   

Thank you everyone for providing the information you have for me to look at as a starting point and how possibly to achieve this.