Server Maintenance This Week. ×

RAIC & Scripts...

This topic is 8226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Has anyone tried running a "-script" tag on a FMP RAIC server system that has multipe machines serving the DB that the script is from.

If a set of DB's is hosted on a machine running FMP Server, and 5 other machines are clients to that server, which are then "sharing" those same DBs with an Apache server running WSC does the actual "running" of the script take place on the 5 'client' machines or on the Server? Or Both?

The big question is would it be possible to access _other_ data (not another script) in the same DB that a script was being run from IF it were on a different one of these clients?

-Arin

The script will run on first available machine. And then what? When next visitor get allocated to the same machine with anything, the last result from script will be gone...

I still did not found the need for scripts. What so marvelous will script achieve and HTML page not?

I've got a scheduled script that pulls email from a POP account into a DB, and then I need to access portions of that email (subject for example) via the web.

So the web user does not need to actually "RUN" the script, just access the data AFTER the script has finished.

It doesn't mater if the web user gets the "latest" data from these emails, as long as their request isn't stopping the script from downloading the messages. (mail is downloaded every 10 mins or so, and takes aprox 15-20 seconds)

So I was thinking that a RAIC might solve my problem if while the script was executing (ie getting the email) the web requests were handled by other machines all serving data from the same DB hosted by FM Server.

The big questions is, will these web requests still be able to access the data? Or will they have to wait for the script to finish (or worse interupt it) even though the script is actually being executed by a client machine that is also sharing the DB?

-Arin

My best guess is that machine which will respond first will get the job.

Otherwise, it should work. Usually the script is cancelled by request only when it is in PAUSE stage. Otherwise the machine will be busy and connector will call another Unlimited to work.

IMHO, best will be to let standard FM to update the files on server, not Unlimited serving web.

The records added to server will be immediately available to the clients. By adding I mean when FM server will create record, populate it with data and update the indexes if they are any.

That's excellent Anatoli!

I hadn't thought of using a "standard" FMP to do the 'script' work...

That way there would be NO opportunity for a web request to be hindered in any way!!

And I've got an 'extra' standard copy of FMP 5 that came with Developer!

That saves me about $999 for that 'extra' copy of Unlimited!

I'll give that a try, and let you know how it works out (my FMP Server is supposed to arrive tomorrow).

-Arin

This topic is 8226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.