FM 7 and repeating Fields

This topic is 7207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a large investment in FileMaker (currently 5x-6x and Server 5x). Due to the age of our databases, many have repeating fields. How does FM 7 handle these? Does it simply move them into a table or will we have to deal with them before conveting to 7?

We have 275 files,five servers, sixty clients on a mixed Mac-PC platform running OS 8.6 to 10.2.x, Windows 95 to XP pro (quite the gamit).

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows 2000

Yes, FIleMaker Pro 7 has repeating fields. You may or may not want to use repeating fields.

Before you do ANY conversion AT ALL, I recommend that you read the various Tech Briefs fro FMI at:

www.filemaker.com/upgrade/techbriefs.html

You'll be happy you did.

Steven

• 4 months later...

FM7 does have repeating fields and they still work fine.

Unfortunately FM7 still does not have a PutRepeatingField function.

You do raise a good point though. Over the years I developed a technique of keeping error messages and other static resuable things in repeating fields to avoid having yet another file hanging around. FM7 has made that necessity much less important.

"Unfortunately FM7 still does not have a PutRepeatingField function."

However, it has always been pretty easy to do this with a lookup technique. You can specify the target rep and put the value anywhere you want. This has been true since the days of 2.1. There are lots of example files or paid solutions out there which demonstrate this and that's how I first began making money with Filemaker.

This topic is 7207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.