Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Inserting files in FM7

This topic is 7350 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am quite new at this, but i have been trying to inserting files into a fm-file. I know about the "insert object" in the past versions but the problem with this is that the user have to manually choose "Open existing", "Show as Icon", "Link object" and so on. I know that if i use this there will be problem in the future. I would like to force the user not to do wrong.

In FM7 i saw i new feature, "insert File". Great, i thought! But the problem with this is that if i insert a dokument (not link) in the db then i cant open it just by clicking on the container field (like insert object), i first have to export the document to the local drive and there open it by doubleclicking on the document.

I would like to have a button that the user press that says "insert file", and i would also like to have a button called "view file".

If i with the "insert file" choose "link file" then i can just doubleclick in the container and the file opens. Why?

I must save the document inside the database, i can not use the link feature.

If i cant use the "insert file", is it possible use the "insert object" instead and to, some how, not set the filepath to a document so that the user can browse himself?

If you take a look at the new template-file "Document Library" that comes with Filemaker 7 you will see what i mean...

Is there someone who knows how i can solve this without using a plugin?

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows XP

Isnt it strange, that when i copy a file and insert it in i container-field then i can just click the container file to open it. But if i use the new feature "Insert file" this does not work... Then i have to export it first before viewing the file.

Whats the differens?

Whyyy? The only thing i want to do is open the file i have inserted in a container field...

If the file is stored within the container you can only export the file to the local machine the file is not open-able. If the file is stored as a reference you will be able to launch the file from within the container.

When the file is stored within the container it is a binary file. Thus can not be executed from with in the container. And probably wrapped with some proprietary encoding to limit corruption.

Ok, i am following you about binary files, but please explain this to me:

When i copy a file in Explorer (not IE) and paste it into a container field, then the files is saved in the container not as a reference. When i click the container then the document popsup. I can then edit the document and just press save in the documents program. The next time i open the document from the container the field is changed. I have tried to delete the original document, so am am 100% sure of that there is no file reference.

So what is the differense between pasting a document and inserting it with script command (insert file)?

The same thing happens when i use the command insert object, i can open the document directly from the container without exporting it. The same result when i am using the object as a reference.

I believe this is a bug!?

This topic is 7350 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.