Fill down field value

This topic is 7244 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I did a search for this but probably got my wording wrong. I have a new field, called 'avtive record'. I want all of my 400 records to have the value of 'yes'. I set it up so new records default to 'yes', but how can I make all existing records take on that value?

Is there a way similar to Excel, whrer you can have one value at the top of a table, then Fill Down to all the other records? If I need to make a script, could you give me a quick skeleton of what I will need to accomplish this?

Thanks for the help!

Place your cursor in the 'yes' field on the first record. Type YES. Select Records > Replace Contents and select 'Okay.' It will fill it all in. Be sure to back up first just in case.

You can also use a looping scrpt if you are currently networked and need to test for users in possession of a record. Replace Contents will not produce an Error if the record is in use and it will not replace the value. A looping script with Error Capture [On], Set Field[YourField, "Yes"] and then testing for error would be the safest if networked. Or simply do a find with = in the field when done to display any that may have been missed.

This topic is 7244 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.