Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Part-time / consulting Filemaker developer sought

SJM

This topic is 6803 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I need some long term help and advice. Here is some background.

I am a novice (mostly) to Filemaker but am experienced developing database and other applications with script languages like Python and Perl. I am working in a small company that has a large legacy ERP application written in Filemaker Pro 6. The application is poorly thought out (it is rife with classical novice database designer errors) and is quite a mess (no consistent style whatsoever, no documentation), but it also contains useful insight into our business processes, has several good looking layouts, and of course is currently (and has been for a couple of years) in production use and so has lots of essential data.

Now, the system is extremely difficult for me to modify in any substantial way. In addition to new features and changes to the workflows, we need to integrate with several other systems, including our new CRM application, Salesforce.com, and our accounting software, QuickBooks. After considering a number of options we decided to rewrite our ERP in Filemaker 8. We will use better design to make the system easier to understand, enhance and modify. We need to do this in 4-6 weeks, and I will have one other in-house IT person (who is also pretty much a Filemaker novice) working with me full time on this.

Some of the reasons we have chosen Filemaker 8 for the new system include the excellent enhancements to the database over Filemaker 6; the RAD aspects, especially wrt the UI; and the fact that Filemaker is familiar to everyone in our company and no other system would be easier for other people to modify in the future - some purely custom Perl system would have me basically married to the thing in a way I don't want to be.

So, at this point we are looking for some help to write the Filemaker application, and ideally we would like to be able to consult on a regular basis with a very experienced Filemaker developer. Initially we'd like a lot of help getting a solid foundation for design, documenting requirements, and planning a schedule to implement the system. We'd also like to discuss the best ways to leverage our existing Filemaker 6 system. Then we'd like our consultant to be available, ideally on a daily basis, for random questions about best practices or specific techniques, to implement specific modules for our system, or to talk about anything else that pops up. Sort of an outsourced part-time Lead Developer for a small team of novices for 4-6 weeks.

We are located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and, of course it would be great to find somebody in the area that could physically come in as the situation recommends, but we think working remotely via phone and WebEx could be fine, too, if we find the right person.

If you (or anybody you know, for that matter) are qualified for and interested in this opportunity, please email me at smasterman at ricintl dot com. Feel free to include any information about yourself and your experience, or any observations about our situation, or to propose that we have a telephone conversation.

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Steve,

Maybe I missed it in your post but I didn't see what type of business or organization you have. It would probably help if the folks knew a bit more about the type of DB they would be helping build.

Thanks,

I am a full-time FileMaker developer who is FileMaker 7 Certified and a member of the FileMaker Solutions Alliance. I use to be a project manager for one of the largest FileMaker development firms in the country. Since 2002, I have been an 'independent'. I recently completed a large 'legacy' project for the State of Washington Department of Transportation as well as another solution for a large non-profit. I have also completed projects for Universal Studios and the Tennessee Valley Authority.

In most of these solutions I have had to migrate legacy code into a solutions which the client can be proud to own. There are a number of things which FMP 8 Advanced can aid the speed of development, but other concepts such as utilizing the 'separation model' and building a 'interface engine' are more complex than simply migrating to the newer version of FileMaker.

Repeating fields are often mis-used in legacy solutions. Many solutions also suffer from weak security and situations were users will lock each other out of records my accident. Naming as scripts, fields, and tables are also important; but in FMP7/8 a structured naming system for Table Occurances is a must.

I have been working with FileMaker since it was called FileMkaker Plus (prior to FileMaker Pro 1). I'm always amazed at how far 'users' can get in creating there own solutions, but when a solution grows to work with other applciations and support a variety of functions, professional developers can help avoid a ton of headaches.

In the FileMaker world, it's a little more difficult to hire a 'true' FileMaker professional because everyone claims to be an 'ace'. Whether you work with me or not, I would highly recommend a FileMaker 7 Certified Developer (8 certification will not be reday until year end).

I currently have time to take on another project and I have experiance with Citrix, Terminal Services, GotomyPC, PC Anywhere, and XP Remote connection. I am also willing to come on-site as needed.

Although I have stressed the importance of top-notch FileMaker skills, project management is the #1 reason which 83% of all custom projects fail (according to the Gartner Group). Not only do you need a developer which will generate quality code, but having someone which can work within a team and help manage the project is often as important as their development skills.

One of the other developers was asking what type of business you have. In my opinion it does matter. I work with widgets which relate to other widgets; whether it's a medical app or a sales tracking database, it does not matter. In most cases the databases I work on are essential to the business of my clients so user interface, security, scalability, and mobility are always important.

I can be reached at [email protected] or at 865-384-8353.

Thanks,

Joe King

FileMaker Pro Developer's Network

[email protected]

This topic is 6803 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.