Server Maintenance This Week. ×

filemaker 7 and Dev 7 crash

This topic is 6713 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My pc crashes when I delete a single or multiple records in FM 7 and DEV 7. I have tried same on 3 different pc's with same result. Version 7.01a, is this a bug?

File has 2 related files and only 80 records.

Don

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forum.

Other than making sure you are running the most recent release of v7, this sounds like a corrupted file.

If you find that you are current with v7, then you should immediately revert to the most recent Pristine backup copy of your files and import your data.

Lee

BTW, This topic comes up from time to time, so a search of the Forum for the word corruption should proved an abundance of reading. Although you can't do much to prevent it, you can CYA by having and following a good backup plan.

If you need pointing to some articles, let me know.

Edited by Guest

1. Run, don't walk to get the FileMaker 7v4 update. 7v1 through 7v3 have serious corruption bugs. Better yet, just get FM8A.

2. If FM7 can't recover your file you should get a copy of FileMaker 8 Advanced, and try various combinations of the Recover, Compress, and Optimize commands.

3. Upgrade to FM8 Advanced and learn how to use the Script Debugger Data Viewer, and Custom Functions. Unless you are someone who charges $1/hour, you will easily pay for this upgrade in less than a week, due to increased productivity.

4. Did I mention getting FileMaker 8 Advanced? Do it.

I should get a commission from FileMaker for this, no?

• Newbies

Thanks guys, the recovered file works for a short time and then reverts to the same problem (crash). If I do a recover in FM 8 Advanced, is this likely to solve the crashing problem or am I looking at a re-build?

This topic is 6713 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.