This topic is 3725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Let me first say this. It is disgraceful, and downright ridiculous, that this information can only be obtained regularly by fee. Tax dollars still fund a portion of the postal service, as much as it runs on its own gains, and it still remains a govt service, which by definition, is not for profit and all information from said institution should be freely available to the public...

but anyways...

Keeping said list up to date once you have obtained one for free is pretty difficult. I run FMData and I have a free one from 2008 that is pretty spot on. I am in the process of converting one I found from 7/2009 and hope to have it up soon. All positive and good feelings aside from the fact that there are some free ones out there, the answer to your question is NO, not for free. If you want to be up to date, you are going to have to pay. I have seen a wide variety of pricing for these services, the claim to being more regularly updated, usually correlary to their pricing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey! Nice but....

Not sure how much use this really is, my experiance tells me that lookups of information from lists like this are less than accurate.

A single city st and zip can span multiple counties. It may be usefull for creating dropdown lists for data entry but if you really need to define where something is, you really need to look up information based on a full address. Lists like this are 95%+ accurate but are any number of ways this can go wrong(depending on your buisness needs). The east coast of the US is worse than the west coast (due to differances in how land has been surveyed and how cities/towns/zips have been defined.)

I guess my point is, be carefull, information like this can lead you to incorrect conclutions about where an address is and if that is a critical part of your buisness, you should be using the full address to verify where it is. (This gets worse if you try to find tax districts or municapalities based off of simaliar types of lists)

:soap:

Just my 2 cents.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

Let me first say this. It is disgraceful, and downright ridiculous, that this information can only be obtained regularly by fee. Tax dollars still fund a portion of the postal service, as much as it runs on its own gains, and it still remains a govt service, which by definition, is not for profit and all information from said institution should be freely available to the public...

but anyways...

Keeping said list up to date once you have obtained one for free is pretty difficult. I run FMData and I have a free one from 2008 that is pretty spot on. I am in the process of converting one I found from 7/2009 and hope to have it up soon. All positive and good feelings aside from the fact that there are some free ones out there, the answer to your question is NO, not for free. If you want to be up to date, you are going to have to pay. I have seen a wide variety of pricing for these services, the claim to being more regularly updated, usually correlary to their pricing.

I tried the USPS website to see if they sold a zip code database, and the best I found was a set of CD's that had "maps" on them, no database on zipcode=county I could see.

So, where does one go to even price this option out? Links to available databases would be great.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

If it is important to have a current zip code list,

Matt Petrowsky, of ISO Filemaker Magazine shows you how to set this up in this video. Link

You have to become a subscriber to view, but there is a lot more techniques, videos, etc. that it gives you access to.

HTH

Lee

It's amazing what you can get from the Postal Service.

If anybody is interested, you can call the Post Office at 800-238-3150, option 6, option 2. I may be off by a buck or two, but the costs are as follows:

$231 for a one time CD. This has zip codes +4 and counties.

$350 for the CD with monthly CD updates for 12 months.

No, I'm not sure what the license agreement is like. I'm probably going to do the one time option.

Just in case anybody wants to know.

Christopher

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a Zip Code Database in Excel format (Ready to Import into your solution). It has much more than zip codes, current as of 4/26/2010. It is too big to simply add here, but here is a link.

Zip Codes

The link does not work.

• 1 year later...

This topic is 3725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.