Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker 11 New Features

This topic is 5167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

All improvements are welcome… but my first impression is bad,… some of the innovations are only to end users…

Trying to develop a professional look database with many and many tables is still an arduous task,… Grrrrrrrrrrr

[color:red]FOLDERS

Each release of FileMaker Version bring an improvement of kind: "Folder to organize…".

This version: Folders to organize Layouts!!!! LOL Very very nice, but, where are:

• "Folders" to organize Value Lists? Only in FileMaker Pro 15?

• "Folders" or something like that to organize Relations in Relationships Graph? Only in FileMaker Pro 16?

[color:red]STATUS TOOLBAR?

Status Toolbar, nothing special… same limitations to developers… Maybe some innovation in FileMaker Pro 17?

[color:red]QUICK FIND

Quick Find good innovation, but only possible at Status Toolbar, why do not work like Webviewer, Chart Tool, Tab Control? Maybe at FileMaker Pro 18?

[color:red]INSPECTOR

Aleluiaaaaa, but more improvements are welcome in FileMaker Pro 19…

[color:red]CHECK BOX, RADIO BUTTONS, POP UP MENUS and so ON

One more time, the same!!!! bad look, uggly buttons… maybe at FileMaker Pro 20…

AND so ON,…

One more time, one more version and FileMaker still the same,… i give up…

[color:red]hello, they are at 21 Century…

[[]]

[color:red]QUICK FIND

Quick Find good innovation, but only possible at Status Toolbar, why do not work like Webviewer, Chart Tool, Tab Control? Maybe at FileMaker Pro 18?

"Perform Quick Find” script step. IOW, at a bare minimum you could have any field run a Quick Find script via script trigger.

Tie it to a global field, drop it into any layout and context won’t matter.

Combine with Custom Menus to override the Perform Quick Find menu item.

All improvements are welcome… but my first impression is bad,… some of the innovations are only to end users…

I’d like some of the other stuff you mention as well, though I’m more of a “glass-half-full” guy in terms of tone.

I just wanted to note that end users are our clients, and I fail to see how providing innovative user-facing features is a bad thing.

Where is the layout viewer that was talked about here?

http://www.kegebein.net/blog/2009/04/something-about-filemaker-11/

I was so looking forward to be able to is a common module between layouts. I have not found it yet

Love the layout and script folders.. finally!

Graphing is impressive

but.. just starting with it. Crossoing my flanges!

Edited by Guest

Where is the layout viewer that was talked about here?

http://www.kegebein.net/blog/2009/04/something-about-filemaker-11/

"April 2009"

"I hope, you enjoyed reading this article as much as I did, putting it together. The only thing left for me to say is, have a great April Fool’s Day."

Yes, you are right!!!

My impression it's a very quick look,… I take it back…

"Perform Quick Find" it's nice to resolve the situation…

Greetings

[[]]

"April 2009"

"I hope, you enjoyed reading this article as much as I did, putting it together. The only thing left for me to say is, have a great April Fool’s Day."

I have to say though, he did a pretty good job predicting the app icon color palette.

Me too!!! heheheh, grrrrrr, all this is business!! FileMaker 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,… 25,…30,… retirement, lol, the improvements claimed are for our grandchildren, heheheh

OMG! They got rid of my favorite shortcut! No more CTRL+TAB

Personally, I like the fact that the script maker window is always on top.

Due to the fact that the Script Maker Window is no longer "Confined" within the window of the application, it does not surprise me at all that Ctrl-Tab no longer works.

Ctrl-Tab is a shortcut to cycle through the open Windows. Since Script Maker is no longer a "Window" but rather Modal, I think this is acting how it should.

Regarding Quick Find, we've written some step-by-step instructions to show how you can "hijack" quick find to run your own scripts, search every table in your solution at once, open URLs, etc. all using fmSearchResults.

Easy:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=SearchResults.QuickFindIn11

Filemaker is a good old friend, but they move too slow. And some things are just half baked.

Layout grouping, and copy paste CFs is nice but really a '.x' upgrade.

The field adding and defining in table view is 'brilliant' but why not have it in form view, with a right click.

I am finding it difficult to sell FMP solutions when the gab between desktop and web apps is quickly closing. Have you tried google spreadsheet? Are you ready for google database?

+1

rapid field creation - seriously? I look forward to locking users out of this one.

copy/pastes CF - about time

inspector palette - about time; tear offs would have been more consistent with other software.

layout folders - handy but relatively trivial

object badges - handy enough, trivial

graph - about (insert expletive of choice) time

native portal filtering √

custom menu interface - some more normal interface logic at last. Maybe I'll start using it.

quick find - hmmm, maybe

calc dialogue box font goes system native - so I can read it better on high res screens (imac27); did they think to provide this on ScriptMaker (sorry that is old technology; I meant Manage Scripts) as well?

$var in merge - no impact

snap shot - couldn't trust it in testing on data separation files; more exploration time required

Time for the periodic subscription fee (a.k.a upgrade cost), projected cost per button click saved by inspector over the next cycle will probably justify it. Charts, one client will be happy, until they consider the total cost of upgrade compared to implementing it.

Edited by Guest

rapid field creation - seriously? I look forward to locking users out of this one.

I thought that too at first blush, but since it’s only enabled with a full access account, I doubt you’ll need to lock anyone out. The best way to look at features like this is this: They’re for ad hoc reporting, excel manipulation etc. I think it’s a good thing.

My only concern with this particular feature is that there’s no exposure to the schema when modifying it - so no visual feedback as to:

- does a field like this already exist?

- does the name I select fit within existing naming conventions?

etc. So from my perspective the disadvantage is that there’s no encouragement of good development habits. As daunting as the Manage Database dialog may be to a new power user/developer, the whole dialog is a learning tool by its very nature. Adding a field through a little + button doesn’t provide any kind of “teaching moment”.

"Perform Quick Find” script step. IOW, at a bare minimum you could have any field run a Quick Find script via script trigger.

Tie it to a global field, drop it into any layout and context won’t matter.

This works well in client, but can you get it to work with IWP.

I have tried:

-list view

-global field from same table in the header

script1

- commit record

- quickfind (global field)

script2:

- set variable $qf to GlobalField

- quickfind ($qf )

no luck

This works well in client, but can you get it to work with IWP.

I have tried:

-list view

-global field from same table in the header

script1

- commit record

- quickfind (global field)

script2:

- set variable $qf to GlobalField

- quickfind ($qf )

no luck

IIRC, script triggers won’t fire from user interaction in IWP (though I’m by no means an IWP guru). Are you using script triggers?

inspector palette - about time; tear offs would have been more consistent with other software

It has been mentioned elsewhere that tear-off palettes are an Adobe-patented technology. Macromedia tried copying them (before they ended up merging with Adobe) and Adobe sued them successfully.

The fact that you can create as many Inspectors as you like (via the New Inspector menu item) and collapse various sections of each tab gives you almost as much flexibility. And it appears, thankfully, that the placement of palettes is saved across different files and on quit/restart.

I wish they had not removed items on the right click menu when adding them to the inspector. (e.g behaviours). Why couldn't we have both options? I'm not one for moving from where i'm at to the other side of my monitor(s) to access something.

This topic is 5167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.