FMP 10 to FMP 11 with odbc

This topic is 4988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a FMP 10 solution that talks to our shipping software via ODBC. We are looking to upgrade to FMP 11 but have heard that they are using a new ODBC driver. What we want to know is has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) during the upgrade with the old drivers. We don't want to change the old drivers unless we just have to. For us to change the drivers would be a major pain on the shipping software side.

Thanks for any input.

Ron

The SQL has gotten more strict which I personally think is a good thing. I havent performed any benchmark tests yet but users have reported a speed increase.

We have had a issue with the driver in FMSA11. Its giving an error upon performing the function in our application. I called FM support and they gave me no information about the differences between their new ODBC drivers and the DataDirect drivers that we had built our application on. This is a big disappointment. The errors indicate that the problem is a permissions issue or perhaps that the character string in the SQL statement is not being accpeted due to its length (which dosent really make any sense). I'll keep you posted as to the resolution if we find one.

Regards, Ron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

We had recently upgraded to FileMaker 11 from 10. We integrate our website with FileMaker via ruby scripts through ODBC. We had to change our scripts to deal with the stricter type checking (especially regarding date and time stamps). That required some minimal coding work, but there was precious little documentation to be found to point us in the correct directions.

Everything did seem to work correctly until we noticed some random hiccups where data in fields over 28 bytes became corrupted with null string terminators. We haven't been able to nail down specific conditions where this occurs. We are inclined to think this might be a buffer-overrun issue, but as Sergeant Ron stated, there is scant information coming from FileMaker about this driver.

We did notice that this was only in data received from FileMaker that was being corrupted. We did not see this in data sent to FileMaker.

We've reverted back to FileMaker 10 until this can be resolved as this was corrupting data in our production databases.

• 4 months later...

Finally (mostly) successful in getting FMPro 11 to work with FedEx's shipping software. FedEx's shipping software wasn't able to read text data via ODBC (it saw number, time, and date fields just fine).

The solution was to go into the field definitions in FileMaker, and change the Validation so that a Maximum numbers of characters option was checked and there were enough characters to hold all the data. I set most of the address and account fields to 50-100 characters. Once the change was made, FedEx imported our shipping data just fine.

The only problem is I am unable to write back to my shipment tracking table. Ship Manager is able to see the tracking table and all the data, but returns a error saying that it does not have permission to write to it. Any help out there on this issue??

This topic is 4988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.