Limit available layouts

This topic is 4979 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just stared using FM Go and so far, so good. I would like to limit the available layouts to only those optimized for FM Go of which I now have 5.

It doesn't seem that making a privilege set will work as I want full access when logging in via my desktop version and only FM layouts when logging in via FM Go.

Any thoughts?

Peter

By checking to see what size the screen is, you can tell whether you are running on the desktop or on FMGO via ipad or iphone. Then you just have to call the right layout for the appropriate device.

I have a custom function called GetPlatform that I copied from one that Dwayne Wright wrote that I use for this purpose.

The entire contents of the custom function is:

Case(

Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 2 ; "Windows" ;

Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 1 ; "Mac" ;

Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 3 and Get ( WindowContentWidth ) < 481 ; "FMGO - iPhone" ;

Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 3 ; "FMGO - iPad"

)

You don't even need to use the screen width; get(ApplicationVersion) returns either "Go " or "Go_iPad ", depending on whether it's running on the iPhone or iPad. So you could use:

Case(

Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 2 ; "Windows" ;

Abs(Get(SystemPlatform)) = 1 ; "Mac" ;

Left(Get(ApplicationVersion);3)="Go " ; "FMGO - iPhone" ;

Left(Get(ApplicationVersion);7)="Go_iPad" ; "FMGO - iPad"

)

The problem is that when in FM Go, you hit the layouts button and see every layout, not just the Go optimized ones. I do not want to add layout navigation to the layout since room is already quite limited. I am relying on using the layouts button for layout navigation, I only want it to list the FM Go layouts though.

Peter

Unfortunately there is no way (yet) to selectively list layouts.

I usually hide all layouts in the the menu so it's empty, and build navigation. This is the opposite of what you are doing.

The problem with the separate privilege sets is that the user will have to remember to log-in with a different account on the mobile device, since one account can only be associated with one privilege set.

Will separation be any benefit?

Scenario 1 Separation model: user has to remember which file to open depending on platform.

Scenario 2 Multiple Acccounts: user has to remember which account to use depending on platform.

No change: the user still has to change their behaviour depending on the platform.

Why not hide all the layouts in the layouts menu and script the navigation. The scripts can display the mobile or desktop interface as required. One file to open, one account to log-in with.

It might be possible to get the effect you want with custom menus. Haven't had a chance to try it. I know that in FMGo it doesn't work quite the way custom menus work in FMPro but it is there.

Why not hide all the layouts in the layouts menu and script the navigation. The scripts can display the mobile or desktop interface as required.

I wanted to keep all layout navigation off of the layout since space is at such a premium.

Peter

This topic is 4979 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.