Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need a volunteer to design simple database

july1962

This topic is 4757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I thought I was a pretty good novice at coming up with simple FM databases until I tried to figure out relationships! LOL I've been sitting here for three hours now and can't get it to do what I need. I'm hoping someone would like to volunteer to help me out.

All I need is a simple relational database to track individual pages from the Census records, with the ability to list some of the names on each page (that would repeat on other pages/other years). (For instance, my grandfather Neal might appear in 5 census pages, so he'd appear once in Layout 1 and on 5 different census pages in Layout 2).

It would be like this:

Table/Layout 1

Person ID #, Last Name, Suffix, First Name. Then a portal(?) that shows all the census pages that person appears on by census record number.

Table/Layout 2

Record Number, Census Year, State, County, City, Page Number. Then a portal(?) where I could enter the Person ID# from Table 1 and it fills in the whole name (it would be nice if I could enter the name and it fill in the record number, but some people have identical names). Then I'd like to add info to that name (on that specific census record) with Relationship, Age, Birth Month, Birth Year, Birth Place, Father's Birth Place, Mother's Birth Place.

I know people get paid for doing this stuff, I just don't have extra money to pay someone. Not to give a sob story, but I recently gave up my job to care for my disabled sister full-time, when our mom died. Working on my family tree has been a great way to cope with both. So I hope someone might be willing to help out.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks!

Eric

I don't know how the (US?) census works so am not sure exactly what you want. Does a person appear in more than one place/record per census? Or have I read that incorrectly?

Anyway, does the attached help to get you started? Just a simple 3 tables - people, census records and a join table.

census.zip

• Newbies

I don't know how the (US?) census works so am not sure exactly what you want. Does a person appear in more than one place/record per census? Or have I read that incorrectly?

Anyway, does the attached help to get you started? Just a simple 3 tables - people, census records and a join table.

I'll take a look...thanks! But to answer your question...yes. The census is taken every 10 years. So when working on my family tree, some of my ancestors may appear in up to 10 census records, and on each page, it could list up to 20 members of their family.

• Newbies

Wow...it's almost perfect! Thank you so much! I have a couple of questions for fixes.

I need the Person ID# (_pk) and the Census ID# (_pk) to be something I can enter instead of the actual record number. For instance, I have a family tree program that assigns a person number to each person and I need that to be the same number. I also code each census page with an alpha-numeric code made up of the census location/page#/year. So instead of entering the record numbers on the join page, I would enter their assigned person number and the assigned census code.

So on the person page, I'd need to be able to enter their ID number and the same for the Census page for the Census ID number.

I was thinking it would be great to put the actual census .jpg file on each census page, but I think I can figure that out.

• Newbies

Wow...it's almost perfect! Thank you so much! I have a couple of questions for fixes.

I need the Person ID# (_pk) and the Census ID# (_pk) to be something I can enter instead of the actual record number. For instance, I have a family tree program that assigns a person number to each person and I need that to be the same number. I also code each census page with an alpha-numeric code made up of the census location/page#/year. So instead of entering the record numbers on the join page, I would enter their assigned person number and the assigned census code.

So on the person page, I'd need to be able to enter their ID number and the same for the Census page for the Census ID number.

I was thinking it would be great to put the actual census .jpg file on each census page, but I think I can figure that out.

You know what....I figured it out! Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even know you but on behalf of all of us who need help, THANK YOU for your kindness in creating the db for this gentleman and not asking a thing in return. It's people like you that make the world go round and bring back my faith in humanity. BRAVO!

This topic is 4757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.