Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print to PDF to have a smaller file

davidoz

This topic is 4203 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

For the last 3 years, I've been using "Save as PDF" to create pdf on filemaker. However, I've always noticed the size if these files are quite big.

However, if I go for "Print to PDF", the file is significantly reduced while keeping the same quality (images and content).

The only problem is that I need to manually input the file name and the directory to save that pdf. Is there a way of making that process automatic.

So far, part of the script I have is

Go to Related Record [From table: "Orders"; Using layout:"Invoices" (Orders)]

Set Variable [$Path; Value:"filewin:/L:/Company/2011/Invoices/"]

Set Variable [$FileName; Value:"INVOICE" & "Orders:InvoiceID" & ".pdf"]

Set Variable [$FullPath; Value:$Path & $FileName]

Save Record as PDF [Restore; No dialog; "$FullPath"; Current record]

There is no standard "print to pdf" function in Windows, it must be provided by some other software (perhaps Acrobat). So the code that creates the pdf is not that from FileMaker, so it cannot be scripted directly.

FMP's pdf code is known to produce bloated pdfs. Believe it or not, it was been improved in later versions.

• Newbies

yes, I believe it's because it's because I have Acrobat Pro installed so I have the choice to Print as PDF which makes a huge difference in the size of the file (600ko to 45ko). 600ko doesnt seem much but when I attach 3 or 4 pdfs to an email, it does.

Any way of optimising the PDF from filemaker ?

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have a recommendation for additional software to print to pdf so file size can be controlled (or is there any chance FMP 12 can control file size now)?

We'd probably be looking at 10-25 user licenses and price is important. It looks like there are several options in the $25-$50/user range.

Something that also does a good job converting to word and excel from pdf would be great.

Thanks for any feedback.

There are heaps of free PDF printer drivers around, use one of these.

BTW excel and word files are not converted to PDF, the pdfs are generated when they are printed.

For now I think I'm going to use PrimoPDF. Its free and seems to work great and allow the control I need.

To clarify, I'm looking to convert from PDF to Word and Excel. For the software I've tested so far, there's been a wide range of results. Some were horrible, showing images in only one of three columns of a layout and showing fields that dont print in the other columns. Others seem spectacular with almost exact conversions to Word leaving all text and images editable and converting summary reports to excel pretty well also. Any recommendations?

• 1 month later...

So we upgraded to 12... and when I use PrimoPDF to print to PDF now, everything turns into an image including text and vector grahics so the PDFs are bloated and not searchable. Of course all was fine in 11.

Does anyone use a low cost PDF creator that does a good job compressing images in the PDFs and keeps the text as text and vector graphics as vector graphics?

Hi,

This may not help. In Mac OSX there's a technology called Quartz. It's easy to create a workflow that will reduce PDF file size drastically. It maintains quality with text and basic graphics. Is there something like this in the Windows environment? Could it be called by a VB script?

search the forums here for Script Master and iText to review how to create pdfs and merge them together it is much faster and the resulting file is much smaller. I have made several posts on the subject.

I'm missing something. I watched Matt Petrowsky's video on using ScriptMaster and iText to combine PDF files. The demo file worked fine in 11. In 12, the demo file produced a file with the FMP file name included in the combined file, but worked to create a file.

Trying to copy everything from the demo files and add this to my own file in FMP 11 or 12, catpdf was not registering as an external function and therefore does not work. What am I missing?

• 4 months later...

The answer is

Yes.

and

No.

and

Maybe.

It really depends what is in your PDF.

For example it is full of Hi-res 4 colour images then iText can loop through all the image entries in the PDF dictionary, extract them, reduce resolution and convert to RGB then put it back in the same place - saving bits

Adding PDF files in iText can use methods which remove duplicate dictionary objects - also reducing bits (PdfSmartCopy)

If it simply stacked full of text using one of the built in fonts then probably not so, other than standard compression methods..

There was a helpful post on Technet about the fact that if you choose a lower PDF version in the compatibility dropdown when creating a PDF from FM it produces quite bloated files. Acrobat itself is quite good at compressing files by choosing Document::ReduceFileSize

There are a number of posts in the 360Works section which relate to iText which might help.

This topic is 4203 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.