Server Maintenance This Week. ×

need creative way to filter portals

ggh

This topic is 4633 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a database that keeps track of classes teachers take. Many are unique, many are classes that several teachers take. When the class is a duplicate, it's assigned a group number. I use the group number for portals to display staff that have taken the same class.

I'm trying to create a set of portals on a layout where the user to see just group class names, select a class, then see the members. If I create a portal based on records that are identified as a group class, all records show, thus the name is repeated. I'm looking for a way so the name of the class just shows once. Then the the user could select the name (globals would set with the group id number) and they could view who took the class through a second portal.

I need ideas for how to just show the class name once. I tried creating a value list using the name of the class (shows only once), but when new classes are added, the value list is not update immediately. The user makes a new group class, adds staff members, but the new class doesn't show up immediately.

HELP!!!! :no:

I've lost you right at the beginning. I suppose a teacher can take many classes, and a class can have many teachers. If so, you should have three tables:

Teachers -< Enrollments >- Classes

If a group of teachers enroll in a class - AND the fact that they enrolled as a group is significant, you could add a Groups table as another parent of Enrollments.

Ya know how you get stuck thinking about something in one way, when you should be thinking in an entirely different way?

UGH! This project is combining three FileMaker 4 databases into one....being able to see group participants is a new function....I didn't rethink the whole design...duh!!!! I'm an idiot! Thank you for resetting my thinking! :sorrysign:

This topic is 4633 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.