Play external audio file through script in FM

This topic is 3632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database which has records of audio files which live on our network. One of the fields in the database is the filepath for each audio file. I would like to create a script which will play the audio file which is named in the filepath field.

I do not want to put the the actual audio into a container field as this database has over 40k records and will only get larger.

I have tried the Send Event script step and i have gotten that to open VLC media player or Quicktime (although even that doesnt' seem to want to happen now), but I then have to go back to filemaker and copy the path from the filepath field. Is there a way to automate this whole process without having to go back and manually copy the file path?

It was suggested that I use "Store by reference" when inserting the file into the container field, but I can't get anything to play from that (either by a script or clicking on it).

Another person suggested creating a calculation field which returned the name of the file which had been inserted into the container field, again -- didn't work.

With the Send Event script step, I can get it to open text documents or spreadsheets with no problem. It doesn't seem to work the same for an audio file.

I know i'm probably just missing a few steps. At this point, i'm just at a loss as to what.

A typical path in the filepath field would be something like: d:\library\audio\nature sounds\AP01_01_01.wav

The filepath field is set up as a text field.

It was suggested that I use "Store by reference" when inserting the file into the container field, but I can't get anything to play from that (either by a script or clicking on it).

What happens when you do that - then double-click the container field?

i have a similar thing happening for my sound library. works ok. i play the audio file through a script, attach to a button, it's elaborate, but the essential line says:

Go to Field [select/perform, ContainerField]

make sure that the 'Select/perform' option is checked.

hth,

stefan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

When i double click on a container field (after saving the file as a reference), nothing happens. The container field doesn't seem to be the way to go. I have over 40K audio files with which I need to set up a way to play them but not include them in the database.

I have gotten VLC to play through a Send Event script step, but this is iffy. Every time I log off, when i log back on, it doesn't recognize the vlc command anymore and i have to play around with it to get it to work again. Obviously, that's not a good solution either.

When I do get it to play through a Send Event script step, I have used the following calucation: "vlc "&filepath (where filepath is the field name which contains the full length of the path where the audio file is actually located). This is what has worked. But, like I said, if i log out, it may not work again next time.

If I use a command like "cmd /c vlc.exe"&filepath, there is a black flash of the dos prompt box opening and closing and that is it.

When i double click on a container field (after saving the file as a reference), nothing happens.

Then you have a problem - and I am not sure of the nature of the problem. Double-clicking the container field should open the referenced file in its native application. Perhaps you should try this with other types of file to see if it matters.

• 2 years later...

This topic is 3632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.