File Format - Multiple Server Versions

innodat

This topic is 4480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's something I'm curious about: Let's assume for a moment that FileMaker will update their database file format down the road (they haven't done that since version 7 in 2004, so it's bound to happen at some point). Let's assume further, that you, as a company, have clients which are connecting to a FileMaker server you're hosting.

Now SOME of your clients start using a the new file format, while others stay with the old one. That poses a challenge. Since the current version of FileMaker Server can only serve the current file format, you need to keep that one. However, to serve those clients which switched to the new file format, you need the new FileMaker Server version.

If you need a separate internet connection, separate router and a separate server computer in order to have both versions FileMaker Servers running at the same time, it gets expensive very quickly...

Parallels has an inexpensive server virtualization solution for the MacMini. I did a quick test with no-ip.org domain names: two accounts, two different forwards, one active on the host, the other on the virtual machine. But both connections end up targeting the host. Nothing seems to get through to the virtual machine. I'm thinking there MUST be a way to do this though, otherwise FileMaker hosting companies couldn't do what they do?

My (wild) guess is, that it all comes down to port mapping and the limitations of the NAT protocol?

Anybody on this forum who had FM Servers deployed when the switch from .fp5 to .fp7 happened?

Just to confirm; do you have 1 IP address at any given time?

If so, then you would probably have to have each FileMaker Server listening on different ports. Can that even be done? Not that I now of, but I've never tried.

Yes, just one public IP address. It's not even a real static one, but monitored by no-ip.org and forward to "ourcompany.no-ip.org". I've created different aliases, such as "ourcompany2.no-ip.org", but that still goes to the host computer, not the virtual machine. I guess that because it's feeding off the same public IP?

I've also experimented with Parallels on my regular Mac OS X desktop computer. I forwarded port 5003 to the virtual machine (this can be done in the advanced network settings of Parallels 7). I opened an instance of FileMaker on the virtual machine and turned network sharing on. This was interesting, because now the databases from FM on the host computer were no longer visible under its IP address, but the databases from FM on the virtual machine. Both at the same time doesn't seem to work, meaning, port forwarding to a virtual machine seems to "take the port away" from the host computer.

I haven't gone as far as to have two virtual machines and forward 5003 to BOTH virtual ones at the same time (is this even possible)... Maybe this is what server virtualization is all about? :huh: The host not active as a "server" itself anymore, but everything is done in virtual machines? Maybe that opens up possibilities for port mapping to several instances of FileMaker/FMS??

Clueless...

PS: I doubt different listening ports can be done - there would have to be a setting in the FMP clients to adjust that. I've only ever heard of 5003 for fmnet communication.

In Parallels, the virtual machine can see the host machine at IP 10.211.55.2 . The VM FM client can see databases on the host FMS at that address. The IP address of the VM can be found by running ipconfig in the VM. (On my machine, it is at 10.211.55.7, but YMMV).

In Parallels, the virtual machine can see the host machine at IP 10.211.55.2 . The VM FM client can see databases on the host FMS at that address.

I'm looking for a way to gain remote access to multiple FM/FMS instances running on a single machine. But maybe I just don't see the solution for that in your comment?

Here's an example of what I'm asking: let's say I have a need to run a FileMaker 5 Server (which is serving those clients using FMP 5 with the .fp5 file format) and a FileMaker 11 Server (which supports connections of FMP 11 clients using the .fp7 file format) - what do I do?

You would need two IP addresses. Two domain names that link to the same IP doesn't count.

Then, if you want one computer to host both servers, you will probably need two network cards, each using a different IP address.

Thank you for your time and insight, Dan.

I guess in the case of a MacMini a USB pigtail is the only way to go to get a second ethernet port.

The questions remains though, how both IP addresses can receive a forward of the FileMaker ports. Or did you mean two static IP addresses? In which case I would need two routers also?

So sorry for asking stupid questions (I'm sure they are!!).

I specifically stopped short with my answer because beyond what I already said I'm less confident about my knowledge. But i'll tell you what I think I know...

You should also have the option to get multiple static IP's from your ISP. I think one of the IP's would be the default gateway for the other IP's, so let's say you have 3 IP's:

Any pack sent on the internet to 100.100.100.2 or 3 would be sent to 100.100.100.1, which would be your router, then your router has to forward that packet on to 100.100.100.2 or 3; which would be your FileMaker Servers.

Sorry! Didn't meant to force you out of your comfort zone.

Even if what you're saying can in fact be done in this fashion, I still picked up on the "or" in your last sentence:

Your router has to forward that packet on to 100.100.100.2 or 3; which would be your FileMaker Servers.

That's where I'm utterly stuck in my frame of mind. How can you forward the ports to BOTH IPs? Maybe there's special router equipment for this, which also supports multiple static IP's (not sure if an Airport Extreme could handle that).

PS: Ah! You mean the router would forward the packet to either .2 or .3 depending on what static IP the packet originated? Anyway, I don't mean to bother you with this stuff...

In my example, a FileMaker Client out on the web somewhere connects to 100.100.100.2, and that request get's sent to your ISP, who know's to send it to 100.100.100.1, and your router knows to send that packet to the computer with IP 100.100.100.2.

Then, to connect to your 2nd server, FileMaker Client would use IP 100.100.100.3.

So, the difference is that you are not using your router's IP to connect to the server's, you are using your Server's IP's, and your router just forwards the request on based on standard router stuff (the sub-net mask, I think?).

• Like 1

This topic is 4480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.