IP Address Change

This topic is 4374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All

It is time to change the IP address of my Filemaker 11 server, yet again.

I am wondering if there is a way to use computer name instead of IP address for the external FM database relationships? (ex: \\computer_name instead of \\192.168.2.6)

If I can get this to work, we can change the IP whenever we want, because DNS would take over.

I'm thinking I may need to a 3rd party plugin, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice.

The DNS server already knows the server name is linked to the IP. I can explore to the computer with no problem in cmd prompt or explorer. There seems to be a problem in filemaker itself.

if you are asking about using a DNS name in the a file reference: absolutely, it should work. That's the basis of any quick-switch approach where you can change the DNS name to point to a different IP address. If it doesn't work then there is probably something wrong with your DNS.

I see that you mention the UNC syntax (servername...): that won't work. File references should be in the FM syntax. So if you have enabled OS level sharing to make the UNC syntax work: remove the shares! It's dangerous and can get your files corrupted.

Curious: why do you need to keep changing the IP address of your FMS box?

This is what I have that is not working : fmnet:/server14/Computer Inventory.fp7

Before the change it was fmnet:/192.168.2.10/Computer Inventory.fp7

Maybe my syntax is incorrect. Instead of the server computer name, should I use the filemaker server name? I doubt it, but who knows.

I also ensured my DNS is working correctly, and translates the correct IP address from the server name.

I have had to change the IP twice in the last year, and it is a pain every time. Once, because the old server crashed, and the next was putting it on a better computer. The emergency computer was not ideal. I need to change it now, because we are changing our IP address schema.

If I can get this to work, it would save a lot of possible future hassles.

You couldn't possibly use "server14" as the DNS of a machine, because the machine must "live" in a domain, say "mydomain".

So, fmnet:/server14.mydomain/Computer Inventory.fp7

Beware, DNS can be difficult to configure correctly.

One other thought. In the server overview the server is listed by IP at the top. I have always thought this to be automatic, but wondering if instead it listed itself as Server14 instead of IP if it would work.

After reading the last post, I need to mention that we do not have a domain. We are still in a workgroup environment.

This works in WORKGROUP. The DOMAIN I talk about is an INTERNET domain - NOT a WINDOWS domain.

The type of DNS you seem to be referring to is WINS - Windows Name Service, this is SPECIFIC to Windows PCs

The type of DNS I am referring to is DNS - Domain Name Service, this is GENERIC to the internet

Hence, FileMaker only supports thee generic DNS as that is the only one guaranteed to work.

If you don't know how to set up DNS, then you might need some help locally.

We have our own DNS server in house, and it is also a WINS server.

This has nothing to do with DNS. DNS translates the computer name correctly to the correct IP address. That is all a DNS does. I have tested this many many times.

It is something with adding fmnet:// to the equation.

Hello All

I'm not sure this is even possible.

I'm looking for a method of scripting that would actually modify scripts. I need to search through a lot of scripts and change any reference to a IP address to a new IP address. I also need to run this in multiple files.

If possible I would also like to do this in the external data sources as well.

Is this even possible? If not has anyone heard of a 3rd party solution?

Thanks for any comments

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Database Schema & Business LogicManaging Scripts" to "FileMaker Server AdministrationFileMaker Server".

I merge your 2 topics together as they're about the same problem.

Please do not double post or multiple post your question. When asking a follow-up question just make a reply to your existing topic with the new information.

You have any questions about this action, please contact me via private message.

I'm looking for a method of scripting that would actually modify scripts. I need to search through a lot of scripts and change any reference to a IP address to a new IP address. I also need to run this in multiple files.

You're on the wrong track... external scripts are based of the external file reference so you can't try to force an external script to look at another server without changing the file reference.

If you want to change file refernces in an automated way: sure, can be done because anytihing you can do in the interface can be automted. But its pretty cumbersome and it really should not be necessary. You didn't fully answer why the IP change is necessary: if you introduce a new FMS box to replace an old one you simply use the same IP address for the new one and retire the old one.

We have our own DNS server in house, and it is also a WINS server.

This has nothing to do with DNS. DNS translates the computer name correctly to the correct IP address. That is all a DNS does. I have tested this many many times.

It is something with adding fmnet:// to the equation.

I don't agree. It has everything to do with DNS. DNS simply works but it can be tricky to set up. If you have a DNS server you must have a domain. Those two go hand in hand. If your FMS box is not part of the domain it will not hit your DNS server, it will go out to the public DNS servers on the internet for resolution and it will fail.

If you have a domain, join your FMS box to it. That should solve your issues.

Are you mixing WINS and DNS?

Whilst they both perform similar functions, I don't think you can maintain a DNS domain and a WINS machine and expect the machine to get resolved into the domain

Incidentally, DNS does work, I know because I have used it, and it can be very tricky to set up correctly!

OK. I need to set some things straight. We are working in a work group environment, not a domain. We have an internal DNS/WINS server used to translate computer names, as well as internet usage. We have an internal DNS, because we are one part of a very large company and we need to be part of their overall WAN. I can assure this is correct, because I am the head of IT here. I personally do not set up the DNS, I pay a consultant to manage this for me. The DNS function properly, because you can go to any address bar, run box, or cmd prompt and type in server14 and it goes there.

It only fails when you add "fmnet:/" in front of it. It is almost like the filemaker server is not recognizing that it is on that computer.

I did not mean to double post. I believed it was a separate issue, because I did not think there was going to be a solution here, and I was looking for an alternative.

As Wim Decorte mentioned previously

I see that you mention the UNC syntax (servername...): that won't work. File references should be in the FM syntax. So if you have enabled OS level sharing to make the UNC syntax work: remove the shares! It's dangerous and can get your files corrupted.

The fact the you can connect to server14 still indicates that you have OS level sharing enabled there - a distinct no no!

The DNS function properly, because you can go to any address bar, run box, or cmd prompt and type in server14 and it goes there.

You are flawed in this assumption as you could still access server14 without DNS in place, and if you TURN OFF OS level sharing on server14 then you won't be able to connect using UNC syntax.

It only fails when you add "fmnet:/" in front of it. It is almost like the filemaker server is not recognizing that it is on that computer.

You realise that won't work in an address bar? fmnet: protocol is not recognised by the OS. In fact, to all intents and purposes FileMaker Server is invisible to the OS.

You also said

After reading the last post, I need to mention that we do not have a domain. We are still in a workgroup environment.

Do not have a domain? I think you mean you do not have a Windows Domain - this is different to an Internet (BIND) domain.

We have an internal DNS, because we are one part of a very large company and we need to be part of their overall WAN

Therefore you HAVE a domain!

You can still have DNS (BIND) within a workgroup environment - I know, because I've got exactly that situation!

To prove your DNS is correct then run a TRACE ROUTE to server14.

This topic is 4374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.