Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Field changing color

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. I have no clue on this one. I have a table that, based on a code, gives the name of a color. When bringing in the name of the color into my related database, I want the text (red, blue, etc) to be its color. So if the code brings back the word "red" I want it to be in red or at least have the shading or something in that color. Any help here? Thanks.

Mike

About six. Basically, we have a school. For the younger grades, depending on their bus stop (code) we place a sticker on a button and color in the bus color so they know where they're going. I set up a table that, based on the code, gives the bus color to each student. I want the color name to be in its color. Does this make sense?

If I understand correctly, you should just be able to put a conditional format on the field itself that checks for multiple conditions.

Such as:

Self = "Red"

Self = "Yellow"

Self = "Green"

Self = "Orange"

Self = "Purple"

Self = "Brown"

Just choose whatever gradient you want for each text color.

Guess I'm a bit ignorant on this. Can you be a little more detailed? Thanks so much. (I'm just starting to change over to 12)

Set up Conditional Formatting for the field like in the screenshot. Choose a different text color for each condition.

Order is irrelevant, since all conditions are mutually exclusive.

If you want to format another field based on your color field, replace Self with the name of the color field.

post-80889-0-94255200-1340113623_thumb.p

Hi. That last idea worked out great. Thanks. I have another conditional formatting type question. I have a report with one line per record with, say, 10 fields. Suppose I want to show 10 fields per line on most of the reports but only 8 of those fileds if x=y. I could always make two identical reports, one with all 10 fileds and one with two fileds set not to print. I would think there would be an easier way with just one layout?

Mike

You could use CF to make the field contents invisible, e.g. by setting a very large font size (like, 500), which works regardless of the background color.

On the other hand, depending on the field arrangement, this might leave visible gaps, so maybe making two dedicated and optimized layouts is the better solution.

The x=y I said just to mean a condition. Like if it's for the office staff I might leave the fileds on the report. If it's for teachers I might want to leave off some fileds. I guess I may have to go with the two layouts. thanks

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.