Server Maintenance This Week. ×

List View: Different UI for each record

This topic is 4288 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I am using the List View. Based on variables I want to display different groups of objects (buttons, text etc.) in different records (shown at the same time).

My first attempt for a solution was to use tabs that I control via scripts. The problem is, that all records in the list view always display the same tab

of a tab control. So if I go to one tab in a records all other records also go to this tab.

Unfortunatly there is also no hide option that allows to hide groups of objects.

Is there any solution? I have filemaker 11 and 12. Altough a solution for filemaker 11 would be prefered.

Thank you!

absolutely filtered portals and they would work in fm11. As you see by John's example, you can't have these overlap. tell us more of what you want to do. perhaps you can have calculated containers and text? the buttons would behave differently based on what you show as the graphics and text, of course. I've used this method since FM6.

Beverly

Hi Oink,

You've been given two good approaches. You might also consider conditionally changing the button text and branching your scripts depending upon values. If the records are so different that they need different buttons then it might suggest taking another look at the structure. As suggested, an example of how the records are different would help. :-)

Unfortunatly there is also no hide option that allows to hide groups of objects.

I was just working on a test file (for my own need) and it dawned on me that it was similar - where I wanted to display different controls attached to the same text field using different values but same value list AND provide Management easy tool for creating their own Questions and also defining the Answers, such as Question "What is your gender?", Radio Button (control type) & Gender (the value list). While it is far from perfect yet for my needs (it is proof of concept), it uses tab panels to create an 'individual UI' similar to your need. It is record-controlled and not tab-controlled so you will need to hide the tabs making them transparent, 1 px font, and right align.

Its big drawback (although it may be fine for Testing or Question/Answer-type situations) is that the UI would only display on your active record so it may not work for you anyway. It uses OnRecordLoad (layout trigger) to display the correct tab while a transparent rectangle (placed on top) hides everything else using conditional formatting The transparent rectangle is 2 px wider than the field if anyone wishes to find it. Go To Object[] moves through the tabs.

I just wanted you to see that tab panel objects CAN be hidden so it might expand your possibilities even further. Tab panels can be resized to one-row height for list view (although not table view).

EDIT: This test file is for a version 11 solution.

Mixed_Controls.zip

Hi LaRetta.

EDIT: This test file is for a version 11 solution.

Have you looked at in version 10? Just for the heck of it, I did and I found it interesting how it works.

Lee

Hi Lee!

We skipped 10 entirely because it was so buggy so I can't see what you mean. I'm not satisfied with that file - I just started on it few hours before to address another need - I may not use that approach at all but stacking the fields didn't hide the pen (checkbox box, radio button circle). David J. would say it's my sandbox. ;-)

I assume it acts differently than v11? There may also be some xplat differences.

I started to state my experience with it, but didn't think about the fact that you might not have v10. :blush3:

The tabs seem to act very similar in both versions?

put the tab object in the footer on the list view and then based on script trigger target a tab object depending on the record type.

the list view is only to show a list of items the footer is where all the data entry options can take place. clicking on a row would trigger on record load script and then switch to the desired tab.?

S

I'll add this to my feasibility testing and it might provide better functionality for OinkMaster as well. Thank you Stephen.

Sorry Lee, but there are so many subtle differences between versions that I couldn't say.

This topic is 4288 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.