Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Null Relationship

This topic is 4086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a FP12 database where I am using our SIS database (Infinite Campus) tables.

In FileMaker relationship, I want to find classroom rosters. The relationship I have setup between FileMaker and a roster table from IC is:

Globals <-> dbo.Roster

SectionID = sectionID

and

Null = endDate

In Infinite Campus (IC), when a student drops a course, the endDate field has the date they dropped, otherwise the field is empty (null).

BUT, it appears that FileMaker will NOT match a "null" field. If the field in IC does not contain anything, it will not match a field in FileMaker that does not contain anything (is null).

Is this a bug, or just the way it is???

Not a bug. To be used as a match field it only makes sense that both fields contain data.

At the very least the field on the side/context where the relationship is being evaluated from.  The matched field can be empty and the relationship would still be valid.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee, not sure what you mean. I cannot use a Function in a Relationship graph.

Rick, if it isn't a bug, than I guess it would be a feature request for a future version.

Wim, it doesn't. The relationship is not valid if nothing is in the sql table field (thus the thinking it was a bug). I am guessing it needs to be a feature in a future update.

I took care of the issue by designing a search instead of relying on a relationship.

Oh don't give up on this technique!  You can relate to empty child records if the data type is number or date because you can use a > from single unstored calculation string of 0 or from calculation Date ( 1 ; 1 ; 1 ) to the child (same data-type) field (please see attached).

I wasn't quite clear on your relationships but I hope this gives you an idea - it is very siimple.

NullRelation.zip

This topic is 4086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.