Server Maintenance This Week. ×

The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server

This topic is 4063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have successfully run FMS 10 on an xServe for a few years. I just upgraded my OS X Server from 10.5 on an xServer to a new 10.8 MacMini Server. I also upgraded my FMSA from v10 to v12.

The server installation seems to be complete. The Admin Console Start Page opens with all the correct information. The OS X server app is running with file sharing and web services running.

Java 6 and 7 are is installed:

edufmsprosvr:~ admin$ java -version

java version "1.6.0_43"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)

Java 7 Update 17 (build 1.7.0-17-b02) is installed.

I'm sure something on the FileMaker Knowledge Base about the Java problems doesn't make sense to me. Should I have both of these installed?

When I select Start Admin Console on the Start Page I get this error message: The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server.

I have tried it locally on the server, on a remote 10.8 computer and a remote 10.6 computer. Same results each time.

I am assuming that this is a Java problem. Is there a solution? Do I have to wait for a FMS update? Is there a specific Java version that I need to install? Do I need to shut down my MacMini Server and re-start my FMSA10 server on the xServer?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Paul

That does not sound like a java problem.  Try this from the command line:

fmsadmin list files

Also use Activity Monitor, select "all processes" and type in "fms" in the filter.  How many and which fms processes do you see there?

Thank you very much for responding.

In Terminal the only thing listed is:  Server HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/Sample/FMServer_Sample.fmp12

I have all my databases sitting in a backup folder on the desktop waiting to use the console to upload and start them.

In Activity Monitor there are six (6) listings:  fmsasad, fmsib, fmserverd, fmscwpc, fmserver_helperd

Paul

all the components are working then and the server is actually hosting the file.

Try to access the FMS start page from another machine through http://<ip address of your server>:16000

and seeing if you can connect from there

The server is hosting databases fine. I upgraded the databases I need to v12 and dropped them in the Databases directory. Great.

However, the Admin console is still unavailable. When I start the Admin Console from the Start Page I get the same error message: The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server.

I suppose that other than scheduling backups I can wait for an update from Filemaker if that is the solution.

This topic is 4063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.