Extend a Repeating Field to Be Used With Every Repetition of Another Repeating Field

This topic is 2518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there

I am on the hunt for a function or calculation that will operate like the native Extend () function but I need it to grab the data from another related REPEATING field instead for a non-repeating field which is the limit of the Extend () function.

To give a bit of background on what I am doing, I have built a responsive image grid and a responsive notes grid very akin to the Facebook interface.  I am at the finish line.  The last thing I need to do is add "Edit" and "Delete" options to the bottom of each repetition in the portal (like a Facebook post).  All other items in the grid are populated using the extend function and it works as it should of course because they are non-repeating unique data points.

The structure is simple.  I have a Contact table, a notesdisplayrows table, and a notes table.  All data points are calculated in the displayrows table.  Example:

GetNthRecord (Extend(CONTACTS_NOTESGRID::ID); Get(CalculationRepetitionNumber))

However, where the "Edit" and "Delete" options are concerned I need something that will grab both the 1st and 2nd repetition of a field so that they will display as lower menu options for each repetition (I.e. Facebook).  I currently have a repeating field in the notes (notesgrid) table and the 1st rep is "Edit" and the 2nd rep is "Delete".

Any suggestions?

Um, I'm not sure how it works with related tables, but when in the same table, a field reference from one repeating field will access the same repetition in another repeating field. No need for Extend() or Get ( CalcRepNumber). This may be the same when referencing a related repeating field.

Whether or not you're on the right track using all these repeating fields in portals is another question.

This topic is 2518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Richard Carlton
      Today we're covering the PerformScriptWithOptions JavaScript function with Calvin Mosiman. Learn about this new option for calling a FileMaker script from a web viewer! Future live streams: https://fmtraining.tv/#LIVE 
      support@rcconsulting.com
      www.fmtraining.tv
      www.fmstartingpoint.com
      www.rcconsulting.com 
    • By Mafia2020
      I know the solution is probably very easy but it escapes me. I got this database, which I use to create invoices, year after year, I created a report page where with a neat summary field I get the "lifetime revenues", "lifetime general expenses", "lifetime total taxes" and "lifetime total invoices number", which is handy, but I need to have the same data broken down by year, and I can't figure out how to achieve that.
      In another post I have been suggested to consolidate the three tables I had (Invoices 2018, Invoices 2019 and Invoices 2020) into a single table (Invoices) and then use a "subsummary" which would give me the data I want based on how I sort the records but I am not sure how to use subsummaries nor I am sure I want something where I have to multiple click to re-order records to get data one at a time; I'd rather prefer a report where a calculation of some sort would make a sum of the total revenue of my invoice records broken down by year, as I exemplified in the database I'm attaching, is that possible in an easy, possibly not involving complicated subsummaries way?
      I'm beginning to get desperate on the subject, please have mercy.
      Invoices Demo.fmp12
    • By Jim Gill
      Hello All,
      I have a very old script (fmp 10?) that creates User Accounts and assigns Privilege Sets.  The users are then able to Login via WebDirect (primarily).  The Add Account function is used with the following parameters:
      Add Account [ Account Name: _Parent Data::Parent1_Email_TrimAndRemoveReturns; Password: _Parent Data::
      Parent1_WebPassword; Privilege Set: Web_User ]
      [ Expire password ]
      The Password is temporary (for first login only) that is randomly generated via Custom Function.   Users are required to change their password on first login.  
      The account is created but for some reason the user cannot Login via Webdirect or Client (Invalid Account/Password).  I checked the privilege sets and they all check out.  I can manually change the password form the Security Console and require a new password - and everything works as expected.   Again this script worked for years - we typically only create accounts in the fall - so if there has been a major security update or some other new requirement  that would throw a wrench in the works - well, hoping you all can help me out.  
      Thank you in advance!
      Jim
    • By Monarch
      Hi everyone!
      I have a text field, with each sentence separated by ¶ .
      I would like to create buttons for each line in this field, so that I can copy each line individually (and paste manually in different application for example)
      I assume that it's easy to do in calculation with GetValue, and make a script using Get (ScriptParameter) = line number in that field, for each button. ( I ll need only 7-10 lines max).
      1. I can't figure out what script function I need to use to make a selective copy...
      2. If one of the option is Set Selection function - how would it work in my case?
      Thank you!
    • By TaiChi56
      I have always developed with FileMaker for windows. I have bought myself a MacBook Air and love it. So now I am using FileMaker 16 Pro advance for MAC. I know that MAC does not label their directories like windows does. So I am having problems figuring out to get the right coding to access my photos. I have a folder called "Photos" that reside on the C: drive in windows. Then I reference that folder so pictures will populate automatically when I put in a record. Here is what I have on the windows fileMaker:
      ImagePath:
      Let ( [ // Transform the contents of a container field named Images to text ImageRef = GetAsText ( ImagePath); Photos = Position ( ImageRef; "/"; 1; PatternCount ( ImageRef; "/")) ]; Middle ( ImageRef; Photos + 1; Length ( ImageRef ) - Photos ) ) images:
      "imagewin:/C:/Photos/" & Film::title & ".jpg" Then I go into Import folder and point to the folder all the photos are in. The problem I have now is how to point to that folder in "imagewin", is their an alternative called imagemac, then I could put in Macintosh HD/Users/patricks/Documents.  The folder is in the Document folder, called Photos. Thank you for any help.
  • Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.