Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do i create an inventory script to scan items in and out of my inventory

This topic is 3382 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a truss plant, and I set up Filemaker Advanced 13 with our connector products, and want to input our connector plates as well.   I have Filemaker Advanced 13 on our main computer running Windows 7, but I am using a iPad mini for my Filemaker Go and using it as a scanner.    How in the world do I create a script or what do I do so that I can scan with my iPad using Filemaker Go my inventory in or out?    I would like to use the QR code system.    Just so that I could scan a QR code for a certain product and I would have the ability to put it in or out of my inventory.    Any help would be so greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

That's a very broad question, we don't know what you already have and not have.

In essence:

- create a new record in an "inventory transactions" table

- scan the barcode

- this looks up the relevant product info

- you input the quantity

- you input the "in" or "out"

- you hit a button to record the transaction --> this is where the inventory total in the inventory table gets updated

ok..so in a nutshell heres what I've got..hopefully this helps.   in Filemaker advanced 13 I've created my inventory database.    that's really as far as I've got.   I did get enough info from one source to the point that in Filemaker Go on my ipad if I touch the barcode text box, it instantly brings up the camera to scan a bar code/qr code.  so I do that and it puts into the barcode text box what the code actually is.   This is as far as I've got, I want it to be where I can go scan a barcode and it brings up my product that matches that code and than lets me add or delete qty from inventory.   is this possible?

I do have an inventory transactions table in all of my inventory items, where I manually entered the qtys that I currently do have.   I only want to be able to scan a code to where I can update those qtys automatically.  

I do have an inventory transactions table in all of my inventory items, where I manually entered the qtys that I currently do have.   I only want to be able to scan a code to where I can update those qtys automatically.  

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

You should have two tables:

Inventory: that's where it would say "product A has 20 on hand"

Inventory Transactions: that is where you record:

"on 16dec2014 at 11am, Wim added 5 to the qty on had for Product A - new qty on hand = 25"

"on 16dec2014 at 2pm, Joe removed 5 from the qty on had for Product A - new qty on hand = 20"

Your inventory table is where you can always see how many you have, the inventory transactions table is where you can see how you got there.

okay so probably i have the inventory table where i've entered my inventory and how many units i have on hand and what the minimum is to reorder, etc.    to create a inventory transactions table is that like creating a new layout?   what do i do to get that?

to create a inventory transactions table is that like creating a new layout?   what do i do to get that?

Go to the menubar and choose File > Manage > Database...  This pulls up the window where you add new Tables to your solution,  where you define fields within tables, and where you create relationships between Tables, using the Relationship Graph.   Layout are where you design the graphical display of data.  Layouts are based on one of the Table Occurrences that you have in your Relationship Graph. You can display any field from the table, or related fields based on the relationship graph.   

I second Wim's resource suggestions.  See also the Software User guide: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_users_guide.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

This is what i would like to do and what i would like my script to do for me (my main database is on a Windows 7 computer, my Filemaker Go program is on a Ipad) :   when i click on a record and it brings up the info on it, than i click on the Transactions tab, after i do this last step is when i would like my script to take action.    I want the script to immediately bring up the camera so i can scan my barcode, it should immediately create a new record in the Transactions Table and fill in the date the Lot Number (which will be the definition of the barcode i scanned), and give me the option to tell it how many went out or came in to my inventory.     Can someone help me with this script?, i have tried different ways but cannot get it to work yet.    I've also been going through the basic and advanced training series.

this is what i have so far:  

perform script [Go to Stock Transactions | iOS"] 

Insert from Device [Type: Camera; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full]

New Record/Request

Go to Field [stock Transactions::Lot Number]

Go to Field [stock Transactions::Date[5]]

Go to Field [stock Transactions::Units In[5]]

Go to Field [stock Transactions::Units Out[5]]

after i go to stock transactions, the script does nothing.   what am i missing? or do i have something formatted wrong?

Make that target field a global.  You also need a text field and set it to GetAsText( <your barcode scan container field> )

Next thing is that you need to use that barcode text to do a search on your product.

Why are are those stock transactions repeating fields?

Insert from Device [Type: Bar Code; Camera; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full]

Go to Related Record [From table: "Inventory"; Using layout:<Current Layout>]

where and what kind of text field do i need.  i think i kind of know what you mean, but not sure how to insert it.    Thanks for all your help so far Wim.  i think maybe theres hope that i can get this and it will work:) 

Insert from Device [Type: Bar Code; Camera; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full]

Insert Text [select; Inventory::Item; "GetasText"]

Go To Related Record [From table: "Inventory"; Using layout:<Current Layout>]

is this what you were meaning Wim?  

I think you missed a check box in the “Insert from device” You need to specify a field (as you did with the Insert Text step.

I didn’t test this, but when I looked at your script it wasn’t checked.

Is there someone out there that i could pay to get this up and working for me?   I was introduced to Filemaker and i think its a good program and all, but i'm completely new at scripts and so on, and have been going through some of the training files to get help.   Honestly i don't have time for how long this is taking, i think if i would have known this i would never have spent the money on Filemaker.    If there is someone that would, i would more than gladly pay to help me finish setting it up, however it works.   I really like the inventory part, i just don't understand at all the scripting part and how to make the system do what i want.

This topic is 3382 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.