Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationship not working

Alberto__1985

This topic is 3357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My name is Alberto and I'm new to the forums so excuse me if I miss important information on my question. I will try to be as accurate as possible. Ok here it goes I have two tables joined via a relationship. Table A (Records) and Table B (Forms). The relationship is setup via a global field in Table A (t.record.id) = field in Table B (t.form.name). I have a button that performs a script that sets Field (t.record.id) in Table A (Records) to the form name I want related info from. Then the script goes to a layout based on Table A (Records). At this point is where I can't figure out why if I place a field in the layout for t.record.id I get the value set by the script but when I place a field for t.form.name the field is blank along with any other fields from Table B. I have checked the data on Table B and there is a value on t.form.name = to the value being set by the script on t.record.id just unsure why the relationship is not happening. Also t.form.name is a calculated text field from 3 other text fields in Table B (Records) indexed minimal (as necessary) and as mentioned before t.record.id is a global text field being set by the script. Any ideas on what might be happening or where am I wrong or any steps that can be taken to troubleshoot the issue?

t.form.name cannot be an unstored calculation field if it is on the child side of a relationship. If any of the fields referenced in the calculation are unstored, this will also prevent the relationship from working.

If you look at the relationship graph and see a vertical bar at the Forms end of the connector, it means that the field will not work.

One way to work around this (though by no means elegant) is to create a text field which is set by a script. The script would be triggered by an OnChange script trigger attached to t.form.name.

t.form.name cannot be an unstored calculation field if it is on the child side of a relationship.

That's not likely to be the cause of the problem here, given that:

Also t.form.name is a calculated text field from 3 other text fields in Table B (Records) indexed minimal (as necessary)

@Alberto:

Rather than trying to figure out what's not working with your relationship, I think it would be much better to concentrate on what this is supposed to accomplish. My guess is that you are trying to do something that should be very simple in a very complicated way. But to be sure, we need to know what your solution is trying to do.

This topic is 3357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.