SSL Certificates IP Address vs FQDN

This topic is 3249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have installed an SSL on FileMaker Server to access databases securely via WebDirect. All works well when I use the IP address however I cannot get the FQDN to work  (server name.domainname.net.au). I'm obviously missing some integral part in setting up the FQDN on the Mac hosting the FM Server. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks

Are you accessing filemaker server via FM Pro, Go, or WebDirect?

If via WebDirect, and you are getting a certificate mismatch error in your browser, you can click for more information which may tell you the IP address/Domain Name being used.

Sorry. I am using FileMaker Server/Pro 13 and accessing via Webdirect using Safari as the browser. I can see that it is accessing the IP address OK. I just need help in setting up the Fully Qualified Domain Name on the Mac so I can use that in the URL to access the databases in my browser. I suspect it is something to do with my router????

Do you know where you manage your domain name? (servername.domainname.net.au in your example)

You need a DNS server to provide the translation from IP address to FQDN.  If the domain is managed externally by someone like melbourneit.com.au then you would get things configured on their DNS manager.  You would create an A record for servername.domainname.net.au and point it to your external IP address, assuming 1. your IP address is static, and 2. isn't already set up for some other reason.  If it is setup already then it is a routing issue, not a DNS issue.

Now if this isn't an externally facing solution and only used on your internal network then you need to have your own DNS server on your network if you don't already.  A quick google search and out of the box you need Mac OS X server to have a Mac act as a DNS server. (However, I did find an app that could do it on standard OSX http://passingcuriosity.com/2013/dnsmasq-dev-osx/).  Once your network DNS server knows that servername.domainname.net.au is local and what IP address it maps to anyone on your network would be able to get to your FM server via the FQDN.

This all assumes static IP for either internal or external configurations and that all the firewall routes are setup correctly, but if IP address is working I would think they are setup.

This topic is 3249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.