Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Add value X to a sub summary result

Stu412

This topic is 3208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there

I have a found set of data which is heavily filtered to include just what I need in order to prepare a list sub summary report.

A particular sub summary part has a GetSummary calculation in it to calculate the value of the figures above, based on a particular break field and date.  

What I need to be able to do, really for display purposes but this is absolutely necessary, is to add a further figure from outside of my found set to the GetSummary calculation.  The figure is displayed via a portal right at the top of the report.  It goes like this:

Top Figure  - A

------------------------------

Sub Summary row B

Sub Summary row C

Sub Summary row D

-------------------------------

Sub Summary Total (Should Be A-(B+C+D))  

Instead, this is B+C+D (as the summary calc correctly does it)

Figure A is derived from a different summary and break field in a different area of the DB.

If I manually enter the value of A into my GetSummary formula for the group total, obviously I get the right answer (600000+GetSummary(Total;Breakfield), but clearly that's no good.  I need to be able to call this value when I'm on the report and use it so that FM does this automatically for me.

I hope that's clear, it's quite an unusual case and due to the data set up around the sort fields elsewhere in the system I cannot change things around too much.

I hope that's clear

I am afraid it's not. In fact, you are making two conflicting statements:

The figure is displayed via a portal

Figure A is derived from a different summary and break field in a different area of the DB.

Be it is may be, in order to add a value to the result of GetSummary(), that value must be available to the record that calculates the result to be displayed. In the case of a trailing sub-summary part, that would be the last record of the sorted group (and in most cases, this would mean that the value is equally available to every record in the found set).

• If the value is (or can be) derived as sub-summary value of another sorted group of which this record is also a member of, then it's just a matter of doing another GetSummary() with a different breakfield;
  • If the value can be seen by this record through a relationship, then it's just a matter of referencing the related field.

If neither of the two is true, then you probably have to put the value in a global field or variable before producing your report. A less abstract example may provide a better answer.

Edited by comment

This topic is 3208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.