Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional Value List in Portal with multiple field values

dav1089

This topic is 3019 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am trying to create a daily sales call log, for that I have used Portal for which I am using "company" table in which I have "contact 1" to "contact 12" separate fields for each record (company)

Now, on the portal, I was able to fetch contact names dynamically based on chosen company using conditional value list relationship and creating new text field with auto-enter calculation of List(contact1,....,contact12), but how can I fetch contact number for selected contact name for that company? I created a new field to auto-enter calculation of contact numbers like the same way but it seems like I am going in wrong direction

It would be great if anyone can tell me as I am learning FM.

Or is there any other way of doing the same?

Here is my relationship diagram and layout:

568eaaeddea64_ScreenShot2016-01-07at11.1

568eab89ab058_ScreenShot2016-01-07at11.2

Edited by dav1089
Forgot to enter some more description

Any time you find yourself numbering fields, like "contact 1", contact 2", etc., you should stop and rethink your design. If a company can have multiple contacts, your solution needs to have a table of Companies and a table of Contacts, with a one-to-many relationship between them (IOW, related by CompanyID).

Once you have this in place, you can select the CompanyID for a call, then select the contact's ID from a value list showing only contacts related to the selected company.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2016 at 11:36 AM, comment said:

Once you have this in place, you can select the CompanyID for a call, then select the contact's ID from a value list showing only contacts related to the selected company.

Should I make new table for call log Portal or I can do it on a layout based on companies( or its occurrence) table?

I created new table(Call log) and related it with companies table with one-to-many relationship and followed what you said but it doesn't work. Or I didn't understand properly.

I also tried this method: http://www.teamdf.com/blogs/conditional-value-lists-pt-2-building-for-use-in-portals/

But somehow I am not getting what I need.

Edited by dav1089

16 hours ago, dav1089 said:

I created new table(Call log) and related it with companies table with one-to-many relationship and followed what you said but it doesn't work.

See if this helps:

CompanyContactsVL.fp7

16 hours ago, dav1089 said:

Should I make new table for call log Portal or I can do it on a layout based on companies( or its occurrence) table?

Do you want to do this (track calls) from a layout based on Companies? This would make sense only if you are the one initiating the calls and you are already on the selected company's record.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dav1089 said:

Why is it in Table view?

It's in Table view to demonstrate the principle in its cleanest form.

18 minutes ago, dav1089 said:

Am I not supposed to make Form view with Portal on it?

I don't know. You haven't answered my question, and I am not sure what exactly you mean. A Form view of which table, with a portal to where?

Are these questions not clear enough? Or too difficult to answer?

On 01/16/2016 at 3:30 PM, comment said:

Do you want to do this (track calls) from a layout based on Companies?

1 hour ago, comment said:

A Form view of which table, with a portal to where?

8 minutes ago, comment said:

Do you want to do this (track calls) from a layout based on Companies?

I am kind of confused here because I want a layout with only Portal on which has fields from 3 tables:

- Date, time , Note from Call log table 

- Company name from companies table 

- Contact Name and Phone number from Contacts table 

-- Now if I make layout based on company then each company will have separate portal (which I don't need)

-- If I make layout based on Contacts table, Call Portal will be on each contact record ( Definitely don't need)

-- Layout based on Call log table, I can't put Portal on it based on the same table

So Am I not getting Portal or relationships or both?

I am very new to learning Filemaker, So I am trying to strengthen the very basic fundamentals. 

34 minutes ago, dav1089 said:

-- Now if I make layout based on company then each company will have separate portal (which I don't need)

-- If I make layout based on Contacts table, Call Portal will be on each contact record ( Definitely don't need)

-- Layout based on Call log table, I can't put Portal on it based on the same table

So the question is: why do you want a portal? When actually everything you said points to a layout of the Calls table - either in List or in Table view - as the correct solution.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dav1089 said:

I thought Portal is more user-friendly

How so?

52 minutes ago, dav1089 said:

and I can customize it.

You can customize List view, too.

53 minutes ago, dav1089 said:

Is this not possible with Portal?

A portal shows related records. You would need a relationship in order to use a portal. As you have explained so well, none of the existing relationships will do - so you would need to define a new, arbitrary relationship. This is possible (with a  few caveats) - but would you really want to complicate your schema just so you can use a portal as a UX element?

• Like 1

This topic is 3019 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.