Update Schedules In Standby Server

This topic is 2892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I posted this 4 days ago on a FileMaker Community Discussion but no one has replied so I'll try here.

How does one go about updating the schedules in a standby server so they match the schedules of the primary server? Is it just a matter of running fmsadmin STANDBY UPDATE /thefolderpaththeschedulesresidein? If so, where does the schedules and group file reside (I need info for both Mac & Windows)? 

Thanks in advance!

-Kent

Schedules are synced automatically so, yes you can force it by just doing a "standby update".

Not sure what you mean with where "the file" resides.  Schedules and groups are physically stored in an encrypted xml file (used to be in the registry in Windows) but now the same 'plist' approach that exists on the Mac is being used on Windows.  There is nothing you can do with this file and I would strongly suggest NOT trying to manually copy this file over.

If you want to make a manual backup of the schedules and groups, use the Admin Console feature to save them out.

Hi Wim,

That's a great help. Thanks!

I asked about the XML file because I found a post somewhere on the web that recommended copying the "schedules and groups" file from the Primary to the Standby server, but they didn't say what the path was to the file. Just as well since it sounds like this could be problematic.

Thanks again!

-Kent

On the Primary you can use the admin console to export schedules and groups, which produces an XML file.  When you first set up the second machine and before you make it the standby you could use that xml file to 'prime the pump' and import the schedules and groups.   But it isn't really necesssary.

Right, that's what I did initially. But then after I configured the second machine as the Standby server I realized I'd made a mistake in one of the schedules. I corrected it in the Primary's schedule but I wasn't sure how to update it in the Standby since the Admin console in Standby doesn't function any more. I figured there had to be an easy way to update it since it's likely that schedules will be modified over time.

I searched through FileMaker's documentation but couldn't find anything about the STANDBY UPDATE command affecting schedules.

Thanks again!

-Kent

Edited by Kent Searight

This topic is 2892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.