Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Save PDF and Filepaths - Cannot create on disk

Answers

This topic is 3824 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Filemaker Server 12 (windows) and Filemaker 12 workstations and laptops coming in to filemaker through a VPN. A couple Mac laptops

We have a script that Saves as a PDF and then opens an email program and attaches the PDF. The script sets a variable to name the PDF and a variable to set the File Path. All good at times. Sometimes it works and sometimes we get the error: Unable to create PDF on this disk, disk is locked or make more room etc....

FM = Fileserver

Service Reports = Shared Directory on Fileserver

Then there is a variable that sets the filename. 

The output File directory uses the variable $filepath (a variable that is the combination of path & name)

What am I missing?

Thank you for any assistance!

I'll assume that you are in the correct context, that is that you are on a layout based on "Service Tickets" table occurrence.

The thing that looks a bit suspicious is the use of quotes in the Attachment section of the Send Mail step.

Do you have FMA and can you tell me what $filepath equals right before the Save Records as PDF step?

Also, a full remote (windows) path should be filewin://computerName/shareName/directoryName/fileName

I'll assume that you are in the correct context, that is that you are on a layout based on "Service Tickets" table occurrence.

The thing that looks a bit suspicious is the use of quotes in the Attachment section of the Send Mail step.

Do you have FMA and can you tell me what $filepath equals right before the Save Records as PDF step?

Also, a full remote (windows) path should be filewin://computerName/shareName/directoryName/fileName

$filepath equals $path$file $path(filewin:/Service Reports/ ) $file("MDIS_ST_" & Service Tickets::Ticket Number & ".pdf")

I did try the full remote windows path & that didn't work at all.... Odd

Sorry, what I meant is show me what the variable equals, not what you're setting it to (that I see in your script). Run the script with the debugger and capture $filepath.

Could be a permission issue. Can you copy a file from this workstation to that directory?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I'm also having this issue - Same configurations (FM 12, FM Server 12, Windows 7). I know there is not an error in my file path because the same user can save the PDF when using remote desktop or any computer directly connected to the network. Saving the PDF is ONLY a problem when a client is connected through VPN. Any ides?

• Newbies

Hi there,

Not sure in your scenario whether you are also appending the files, but we were having a similar issue where 'save and append as pdf' to a network location was returning the same error.  If one user had the error come up, another user could perform the same action and it work just fine - so the path was correct.  I just found a possible answer on this forum from a member named VickyNesbit from Aug 2012, which reads:

"We all use networked accounts here - save and append PDFs to the network account and this error will pop up intermittently - I'm guessing because the server is busy backing up the newly created PDF at the same time that FileMaker is trying to append to it.... Or something like that anyway...

Amended script to save everything to the temporary folder (which is local) using Get ( TemporaryPath ) - it works sweet as a nut every time!"

I have very high hopes that this will resolve the issue in our environment, I hope it helps you too  :flowers:

This topic is 3824 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.