steveald

Move Text with Merge Fields from one place to another?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for asking this question. If someone knows a better place and can do so, please feel free to move it.

I have to create many layouts in our main database using formatted static text mixed with merge fields. Attached is an example of what three sections of this text might look like. The dollar amounts are merge fields which display data that is calculated based on selections made elsewhere within each record. I use merge fields to make the surrounding text move based on how many characters are in the merge field data.

Normally, I create each layout knowing exactly which sections I want to appear on that page. If there needs to be a handful of combinations of sections, I just create a layout for each one. But I now have a situation where any number of sections (usually between 1 and 8) will need to appear on a page. And there are 32 sections to select from - each with merge field data unique to the record they are found in. Obviously, creating one layout for each possible combination of sections is not realistic.

So, I thought it would be nice to be able to create a layout where I could drag each required section to it's own place on the layout. Drag and drop between container fields won't work because we are talking about text with merge fields containing data that needs to change based on selections made elsewhere. And I think moving text between fields could too easily open up the possibility of errors.

If it helps, the merge fields (and possibly even the static text) could also be displayed as Edit boxes or something else.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 3.26.08 PM.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spoutnik
      Hello everyone,
      My company uses File Maker to keep a record of customers' addresses. When looking at a given customer, I would like to be able to copy the whole address block (as displayed on screen) to be able to paste it somewhere else (for instance, in an email, or on a Word document).
      You can't do this from the layout for data entry, but we have another layout showing the address block as a succession of merge fields (see screen shot). I added a copy button, all it does is copy what's on screen to the clipboard.
      The problem is that, even though the layout is separated by carriage returns like this:
      <<contact>>
      <<name>>
      <<street>> (etc)

When I copy and paste I get a succession of data separated by empty spaces (tabs), like this:

contact      name      street
      Is there a way to add a line break between the merge fields so when I copy and paste to Word or else, I get this instead?
      contact
      name
      street
      Apologies if this is very simple, I am completely new to File Maker.
      Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated!
      Cheers

• By chaversteve
      How can I set and change the font of a merge field that will appear in a mail merge letter?  Especially when it is a different font from the font as used in other layouts?
      I am having special difficulties with merge field numbers that are dollar amounts.  I cannot get Filemaker tout commas in the right places of the merged 5 or 6 figure number.
    • By Karlos Fandango
      Hi.
      I have a text field for entering the description of work being quoted for, almost every description will vary in size on each quote, all other fields aren't a problem, only this one because it needs user input on every quote, input that varies in text length.
      My problem is this, that when I add this text field as a 'merge field' to a letter, it doesn't automatically resize to fit the description for work to be done. In the inspector>Position>Autoresizing I have the top and left anchors locked, which I thought would have allowed the field to expand to the right [though I don't want it to overshoot the page] and down. However the field isn't expanding at all, but clipping the text.  
      I think I understand 'sliding', but I don't believe that reflects in anyway on this issue.
      Should or can a 'merge field' autoresize to adjust to differing text lengths entered on another layout, or am I expecting too much?
      Appreciated, Karlos.

• By fantasmamore
      Hello all!

I have a database with a number of fields. I have designed a print layout and I used merged fields. Here's an example:

Title1<<field1>>,
      Author: <<field2>>

<<field3>>, is happy with <<field4>>... and so on.

Which is great, I can format the fields as I like, I don't care if a field contains 3 words or 3 paragraphs, because everything is so flexible. But there are times that a field like field2 is empty. Then the output becomes

Jason makes a new friend
      Author:
      Jason, is happy with his new friend...

Yeah, I know, stupid example, but you see where I am going... If field 2 is blanc, then the print output turns out a bit strange. Is there any way to tell the db that **if <<field2>> is blanc then don't display it**? Could I write something like <<Author: field2>> so that I make everything disappear if the specific field is empty?

And another question.
      Can I use a background colour for my merge fields that covers all the width? I want it to be dynamic, so if I have only a couple of words, the background will be one line, but if I have two lines of content, then the background for the specific field will automatically become two lines. Just as the example in the attached image. I don't want to "highlight" the content, I want to use a background...

I am not sure if any of the above is possible. However thank you for reading this and for your help!

• By chuckcou
      Just curious. I know merge field can and are used on reports, but what about using them in a layout that will be in browse mode? Is this wise?

The advantages:
      User can not change the fields.

Disadvantages
      ?

Would you recommend the use of merge fields in a layout that will be used in Browse mode only?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.