Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Standby Worker Machine?

This topic is 2611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Quick question. I know there is a way to create a standby server for filemaker, but what happens if the worker machine fails? Is there a backup option for that? I've been hunting around and haven't found anything to address this. Does the master machine take over for the worker? Any insight? (Thanks in advance)

Hi Lee. Thanks for the link, but unless I missed it I didn't see anything in the video addressing redundancy options for a two machine deployment. Part of me thinks it's safer to have a one machine deployment with a standby server so all aspects of server are covered, but I know there's a performance penalty for that. (I suppose I could make up for that with beefier hardware, but since the vast majority of my users will be using webdirect it will be a high bar to reach.)  

There is no standby for the worker machine.  If the worker machine fails you need to run the FMS installer on the new worker then run the deployment wizard again on the main server to make the connection.

Don't use a single-machine deployment just to have it covered by the primary/standby feature... just have a secondary worker machine ready with all the installers ready to go.  It's really just a matter of having a good procedure to follow and having practiced it.

This topic is 2611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.