Kevin Groder

Un able to Export Reocrds as fmp12

Hi,

Has anyone else found that you are unable to export .fmp12 records from FM 16? I use this step in many scripts and the first machine I upgraded ( out of 48 ) I get the "unable to save file" error every time. FM 15 works, FM 16 fails on the same DB, same table, same record set. I can't even export manually.

I made a screen movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGcm4bt86o

Change the file options, but remember any of v16 "New to this release" will not work.

File >> File Options >> Open 

1 hour ago, Kevin Groder said:

export .fmp12

BTW, all files made in v12 through v16 have the file extension of .fmp12

Hi Lee, I'm not sure what you mean. Change the file options for Minimum Version Allowed? ... and yes, I understand that .fmp12 has been standard for a while, thanks.

Click this dropdown option and change it to your other version.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Ffile-options.html

FileOptions.png

As I stated above, if you use one of the Features introduced in FileMaker 16 it will NOT be available in say version 15 (14, 13, 12).

Thank you, I appreciate your help, but I'm don't think you understand my problem. I am unable to Export Records from v16 even though this works from v15. Opening or importing files is not an issue.

Did you actually try a different file name?

Yes, I've tried several Dbs and several machines (PC... Mac is fine) and various file names for the export.

Edited by Kevin Groder

Your example does not show that; and it is hard to tell whether you are using an extension in the file name.

Yes, I tried using no extension and letting FM add it and I tried adding the .fmp12 extension. I didn't bother to record all that. I've also checked disk and user permissions. I am convinced it is something in the new v16 because, as the video shows, v15 works just fine. FM Tech hasn't been much help.

Just some further clarification per Lee's suggestion:

I upgraded to FMS 16. This was smooth fast and simple, though I am struggling a bit with installing a wildcard SSL Cert, but that' another story for another day.
Most of my network is running PCs and all of those are Win 7. I have a handful of Mac clients but they all work fine with this exporting issue... it's only the Win 7 machines having this issue.

My personal workstation used for development and such is a late generation Macbook Pro running Sierra and Parallels Desktop for Windows development/testing.

Thank you all for you help.

Have you tried exporting to a different location? Desktop might have a security issue.

What if you quit FileMaker 15?

Do you have any plugins installed?

Quitting FM 15 has no affect. I use TroiFile and is updated to the most recent version. Haven't tried removing it but I guess i could.

Yes it's best to eliminate as many variables as possible. Have you tried exporting from a local (non-hosted) file?

Yes, same problem with local files. I'll try removing plugins and see if that makes a difference.

Problem solved... it was unknowingly self inflicted.

I use Assisted Install and had set NONEWDATABASES=1, thinking this was only related to File>New Solution... it didn’t occur to me that this extended to Export records, which, of course, it does, since export creates a new fmp12 file.

I’ve adjust the assisted install parameters and reinstalled… all is well.

Thanks for your help. Maybe my error will help someone else who has made the same assumption.

Thanks for reporting back -- that's an obscure one for sure! Good job.