Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print is not finding the default printer

JH Howland

This topic is 2468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Running Filemaker Pro 11 and Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced under Windows 10 in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

A customer has purchased a new HP LaserJet MSP426FPW that would not print reports from a filemaker solution I call MarinaPro.  Everything works well on other customers Windows 10 computers connected to several different but older HP LaserJet printers.

I found that the "Print" commands (Restore & No Dialog is set) within virtually all my associated scripts were set to a an HP LaserJet 4L printer I used at one time when creating solutions and that was moved to the trash heap several years ago.  By clicking the print options "Specify" button, I had to select the current default printer and then I could print the reports.

If you do not specify an output destination before saving the script or if the specified printer cannot be found when the script executes, the output from the script step is sent to the user’s default printer.  I would have thought that "Print" should have found the "Current Default Printer".  Any way to assure that it happens through scripting?

In checking the available printers by opening Filemaker printer Setup, I can see several printers in the list that are no longer connected to the computer.

Is there any way to clear or update the list of connected printers?

This topic is 2468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.