Sign in to follow this  
JH Howland

Print is not finding the default printer

Running Filemaker Pro 11 and Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced under Windows 10 in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

A customer has purchased a new HP LaserJet MSP426FPW that would not print reports from a filemaker solution I call MarinaPro.  Everything works well on other customers Windows 10 computers connected to several different but older HP LaserJet printers.

I found that the "Print" commands (Restore & No Dialog is set) within virtually all my associated scripts were set to a an HP LaserJet 4L printer I used at one time when creating solutions and that was moved to the trash heap several years ago.  By clicking the print options "Specify" button, I had to select the current default printer and then I could print the reports.

If you do not specify an output destination before saving the script or if the specified printer cannot be found when the script executes, the output from the script step is sent to the user’s default printer.  I would have thought that "Print" should have found the "Current Default Printer".  Any way to assure that it happens through scripting?

In checking the available printers by opening Filemaker printer Setup, I can see several printers in the list that are no longer connected to the computer.

Is there any way to clear or update the list of connected printers?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JH Howland
      I have several customers that utilize our MarinaPro Marina Dockage Management solution.  All are running Windows 10 Pro 64Bit and Filemaker Pro 11.0v2.
      All the MarinaPro solutions are functioning well with exception to the one marina that is using an HP LaserJet Professional M1217nfw MFP printer.  The printer has been named "HP LaserJet".
      The problem is that scripted reports will not print after an updated/revised solution is installed on the computer.  However, a test page can be printed from the Windows default printer.
      Print scripts are utilized by more than one report and this sample is named -  "Master Portrait Printer | Current Record | All | 1 |" and is formatted as:
      #Used by: Print Float Plan Form
      #Used by: Toggle Printer Mode
      #Portrait Orientation
      #Print: Current Record | Print Range All | Copies: 1
      Print [Restore: HP LaserJet; No dialog]
      Filemaker Help states, "If you do not specify an output destination before saving the script or 'if the specified printer cannot be found' when the script executes, the 'output from the script step is sent to the user’s default' printer."
      It appears that the "specified" printer is not being found and the output from the script is "not" being sent to the user's default printer.
      However, if I "re-specify print options" and "Save" the script it will start working again.  And now I am unclear whether it is actually finding the FMP "specified" printer or the Windows "default" printer.
      Any ideas why this occurs?

• By pomilpetan
      Good morning everyone  
      I'm creating a database where I have to print a report. I created the whole structure but I'm at a block. The report is on several pages and I do not find the solution to be able to have at the bottom of each page the subtotal. The section is inserted, in fact at the end of the list I find the result. But if the list is longer than a page, I do not have the data of the subtotal but I find it on the second page at the end of the list. I tried to change the field settings by setting total progressive in the options and inserting it in the footer section but I always find the total integer, while if I look at the data in the table format the field has progressive values Could someone help me on this? I have been reading manuals and internet for two days but I do not find the solution (hoping there is) Thank you all
    • By RajaHashir
      Hi there. I have a list view layout that gets saved to PDF and print.
      On my computer everything looks good. However, on clients computer, the right side is cut off. 
      I have the margin view showing and everything seems to be within the lines. 
      I am using windows and client on Apple. 
    • By NewBoard
      I have a database, which has two printable forms. One has been designed in portrait, and the other in landscape. Both of them are only ever printed using buttons tied to script steps, never manually. I was hoping that there would be some way to specify orientation via the script. However, after some poking around of my own and light Google searching I am thinking this may not be so easy.

I am able to go into Print setup to change the orientation just fine, however this sets it for the entire database which is not all around helpful. While specifying the options in the print step, I am able to change orientation. For some reason though, this changes the default orientation across the entire database. Not even while running the script, but just specifying it in the options of the script step. So now I'm at a loss.
      If this is not able to be done, redesigning one of the forms wouldn't be that difficult. But if there's a way to do what I'm trying to do, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    • By Cable
      I have several reports that use Google Charts displayed through a web viewer to display a "'gas gauge" type of chart. This is a very popular style for our dashboard reports to the point where it is a requirement.
      I originally started using them in FileMaker 14 and they worked great. When FileMaker 15 came out they wouldn't work at first but then did after an update to the code.
      I'm now testing Filemaker 16 and they're back to not working properly.
      They do display on the screen just fine but if you try to print preview, print, or Send to PDF they do not show.
      Does anybody have experience with this or know if a setting changed in FMPA 16 that could be causing them to not print?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

2 members have viewed this topic:
    Ocean West  Earl 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.