Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to upload and download a database to Server without having direct access to Administrative Console

jjjjp

This topic is 1970 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been using FM Pro on FM Server 13 since 2014 to organize a multi-college series of workshops with a handful of colleagues at other colleges in my university. The database is essential to our operation, but the number of users other than me needing to access it at any time is quite minimal. I must upgrade Server because my colleagues have upgraded to FM Pro 16 for a different, much larger operation that runs out of a different academic unit. FM Pro 16 isn't compatible with FM Server 13. Unfortunately, I can no longer easily purchase a standalone version of Server. The new cost of running Server is going to average to about 10 times the cost over the last four years. The rep at Filemaker suggested that I share some other unit's version of FM at my university.

Is there an easy way to upload and download a database to the administrative console without needing to ask for direct access to the console? I will need to propose an arrangement that doesn't give me administrative access to other databases on the console. But I will also need to be able to replace the current version of my database at any time without having to call on somebody else with the necessary privileges. Perhaps there are scripts that do this for either Mac or Windows platforms? Or, even better, does FM Server offer a simple way of providing limited access?

You could create a maintenance database, separate from your normal database, with the BaseElements plugin, which has a container to hold your new database. Then when you want to change your database, the maintenance database, could run a BE script that stops your normal database using "fmsadmin stop databasename", then export (using BE) the new database from the container, and run another BE command to open the database again "fmsadmin open databasename".

Untested, but should work.

This topic is 1970 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.