Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export mac and Windows

millmaine

This topic is 862 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script where I want to export a csv file and I would like it to work on both mac and windows.

At the moment it works fine on macs but is not working on Windows.

I have a script step to create a variable $path1

Substitute ( Get (DesktopPath) ; "Desktop/" ; "" )

Then in Export Records script step in "Specify Output File" I have:

filewin:/$path1/Dropbox (Millmaine)/Finance/FROG_Invoices/CREATIVE/$invoice_name
filemac:/$path1/Dropbox (Millmaine)/Finance/FROG_Invoices/CREATIVE/$invoice_name

I have checked with our operatives and the directory sequence after $path1/ is consistent (i.e. nobody has any additional folders/directories).

Our DB is hosted on Filemaker Cloud.

Any idea why it's not be working for those on Windows?

6 hours ago, bcooney said:

Isn’t that the case?

If it were, how could this be possible:

On 9/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, millmaine said:

At the moment it works fine on macs

Also, OP said clearly:

On 9/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, millmaine said:

Then in Export Records script step in "Specify Output File" I have:

My two favourite experts at odds!!

The problem manifests itself by no file being exported when Windows machine is being used. I will add some error capture alerts to the script. An added difficulty is being 1000km away from the operator and not having a Windows computer myself. 

It’s a rare thing when I disagree with  Comment, but my interpretation is that the $path is not valid. Why it works on Mac may be a consequence if some saved setting. Also, I typically construct the full path in a $path and that is all that is entered in the output dialog. Then, you can show us that path in data viewer. 

20 minutes ago, bcooney said:

my interpretation is that the $path is not valid.

It may not be a valid path - but not because of the reason you gave, but simply because the target folder does not exist in the specified location.

Another cause of failure could be lack of privileges for the target folder. It's sure going to be fun finding out which one is it from 1,000 km away...

I had already checked that the path was valid. Got the user to run a script that retuned the file path. All as it should be.

On the windows computer we have run a FMP export script with error-logging on which results in an 800 error — "Unable to create file on disk."

The user gets the following alert from Filemaker:
"WC2282021-C-63768442785.csv" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

That seems to indicate that FMP doesn't know what's causing the error — only that it can't create the file.

The user has asked whether McAfee antivirus might have some bearing on it. What do you think?

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, millmaine said:

The user gets the following alert from Filemaker:
"WC2282021-C-63768442785.csv" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

That seems to indicate that FMP doesn't know what's causing the error — only that it can't create the file.

Did you get this problem solved? Could you post the path you are using when you try and save the file?

This topic is 862 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.