Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker 6 on OS X validation problems

This topic is 7338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've been trying to move my FileMaker Pro Unlimited hosted web site from 5.0v3 on OS 9 to 6.0v4 on OS X. The problem I'm having is that after hosting the site with FMU 6, the validations I have been using under FMU 5 don't work any more. I have a form that is filled out online that goes to an error page if filled out improperly that works perfectly under 5, but fails every time under 6. I am using validations in the field definition, and Range, Not Empty, Data Type all work fine, but if I try to validate using a value list or a calculation it ignores the validation.

I have tried using related values, caclulated values, etc. all of which were fine under 5, but will not work under 6.

The form asks for "Number in Party" which I want to limit based on an event "Location" in another database.

Does anyone know what has changed here from FMU 5 to FMU 6?

For now I have to run 5 in Classic to maintain all functionality.

Any suggestions?

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

• Newbies

The last most convenient way I have it working under FMU 5 is:

I have a databse named "Locations". Each location has a repeating field named "Limits". Some locations require that they receive a separate attendee name for event held there, others will allow a party of three to sign up under one name. So, if Location A allows three people to sign up under one name, I enter into the repeating field on that location record the values 1, 2, & 3.

Now when a person goes to the website and chooses to sign up for an event held at Location A, and they enter into the "Number in Party" field on the web form avalue of 5, I have the field definition of "Number in Party" set to validate against a value list (from the "Limits" field) in the related location record and their request is rejected. Only if they enter 1, 2 or 3 is their record added.

This way I can control the "Number in Party" they can sign up for.

I have also tried validating "Number in Party" through a calculation of Number in Party <= Locations::Limits and making the "Limits" field a non-repeating field and entering only the highest number allowed to sign up.

FMU 6 hates both of these methods and refuses to cooperate. FMU 5 is fine with it.

Thanks for thinking about this for me.

"Each location has a repeating field named "Limits"."

I'd say it'd be the repeating field screwing things up. Time to get rid of it and do it with a related file.

• Newbies

As I said, even if I use a non-repeating field and make "Limits" be a single value of the largest number anyone is allowed to use in the webform, it fails. It is validating against the value in a related file as you suggest, but it fails under FMU 6 and works under FMU 5.

One of the challenges is that you have gone from FMPU 5 to 6 AND gone from MacOS 9 to MacOS X. Is there any chance you could try FMPU 6 on MacOS 9?

Are you using the Web Companion 6.0v2 update as well?

This topic is 7338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.