Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Specify Find Request

This topic is 7260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is is possible to use a variable or field in the right side of the equation for the "Specify Find Request" option that is now part of the Perform Find Script Step? It seems like the only place I can enter a field is in the left side of the equation. On the right it looks like I can only enter an operator and a constant. I would like to enter a field on each side. I am still trying to understand this new option in FM7.

Thanks, Kevin

As far as I am aware, you cannot do such a dynamic find. The Specify portion of the find, I believe, simply removes the need to create your criteria and perform a find in advance, before creating or 'Replacing' the find options in a script. It also allows you to perform multiple finds with various criteria within one script. Since you cannot perform a manual find using a field name as part of the criteria, it stands to reason that this ability would not be available while specifying the Perform Find's criteria either.

If you're trying to find records where field A's value is manipulated to give field B's value, then perhaps constraining a found set would be an option, though I haven't any experience using that feature.

That's what global fields and scripted finds are for. Put your criteria in a global field. Assuming you had a field gCriteria:

Enter find mode (no restore)

set field [LastName, gCriteria]

perform find (no restore)

i'm having problems with the perform find script step particularly on related tables.

I currently have a layout showing records from a related table. The related table is actually a table occurance from a different file.

When I create the perform find script step and specify the fields and the values that I am finding, then execute the script I get the error that I am not making a valid find request.

However if I make a perform find script step on a table occurance that is in the same file the script step works fine.

I'm wondering if I am doing anything wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Run the 7.0v2 update.

There is a bug in the 7.0 version that doesn't properly restore find criteria when the destination table is in another file and the criteria was built in a layout that references that other file.

kmerritt - great question, I just came here to find this out myself. I was also a bit disapointed, seeing as 90% of my find requests are using globals. Oh well smile.gif The old way is fine, just need to make sure the fields are on the layouts.

This topic is 7260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.